Author Topic: Rear Brake  (Read 3341 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Rear Brake
« on: June 19, 2005, 12:17:11 PM »
Hey Guy's. I installed some new rear pads before I rode today and noticed that after I rode the bike and looking at the rear caliper I noticed that the pads relax about .020 off the rotor. The rotor is not warpped. The day before I torn apart the rear master cylinder and cleaned and installed new dot3. Could my rear caliper be binding on the caliper pins not allowing the caliper to float. The pins are not grovved and are not removable. They are attached to a caliper holding plate that $95.00 from kawasaki. Please help if I have missed something.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Rear Brake
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 04:59:02 AM »
Also guy's the rear brake overs heats. After one ride the fluid is dark in color and I noticed a discolored rear rotor. I have the brake pedal free play set so I don't ride the brake plus I can't ride fast enough or long enough to abuse the brake.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
Rear Brake
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 02:26:05 PM »
Use dot 4 brake fluid or dot 5.  I would'nt use the dot 3, I forgot the reasons why but i'm sure someone on here will tell you the technical aspects of it.  That should fix your overheating problem.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Rear Brake
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 02:31:45 PM »
I'll try that dot4 or 5. I looked today and my brake pad clip is bent and my caliper doesn't want to slide on the pins. I'm going to attack these first. Thanks
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
Rear Brake
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 02:37:19 PM »
One thing to is if you do put dot 5 in, make sure you bleed your entire brake system and dry before you put it in, other wise you'll have problems becuase if i remember right, the dot 5 is some sort of synthetic and it wont mix with any other dot rating.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Rear Brake
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 02:42:52 PM »
Thanks. I'll make sure I do that.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

BrianSM

Rear Brake
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 06:28:05 PM »
Motul 600 fluid rocks !! don't forget the retaing clip...its there for a reason....???

Offline Mhardee

Re: Rear Brake
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 05:51:12 AM »
Quote from: hughes
Hey Guy's. I installed some new rear pads before I rode today and noticed that after I rode the bike and looking at the rear caliper I noticed that the pads relax about .020 off the rotor. The rotor is not warpped. The day before I torn apart the rear master cylinder and cleaned and installed new dot3. Could my rear caliper be binding on the caliper pins not allowing the caliper to float. The pins are not grovved and are not removable. They are attached to a caliper holding plate that $95.00 from kawasaki. Please help if I have missed something.

I noticed last time I had mine apart, there was dirt in the hole where the front pin goes.. It had been making made padds run crooked and wore out the top of the pad first..Clean it out (with a drill bit by hand) and has worked fine ever since..
'03 KX500
AMA
MMC
VSTA

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Rear Brake
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 02:32:08 PM »
Guy's I also noticed now that I got the rear wheel and caliper off and looking at kawasaki online parts I am missing two pad guide springs for the outboard side pad. Are these that important. They are only $2.00 from bikebandit.com. My rotor looks good but it is know bluish in color from overheat. What casues the rotor to overheat :?: I took emory cloth to the rotor to de-glaze it.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

Rear Brake
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 03:18:06 AM »
I would have to agree with Brian SM on the Motul brake fluid.  Switching to DOT5 is a hassle and I never found it to be a benefit.  Using high temp DOT4 Like the motul 600 is a better way to go.  At the end of the season my rear motul fluid looks pristine, no discoloration.  Avoid automotive DOT3 stuff as it can't handle the peak temps.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Rear Brake
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 03:29:45 PM »
I have used dot4 for two rides now and the color is perfect. That sovles my fluid boiling problem. Now I am fixing the pins that my pads ride on they are groved and the forks or fingers on the left hand side of the caliper they are worn down and are only pulling on the top half of the pad causing them to wear uneven. EBC makes a rear rotor for my 87 that I will order soon. Just undate to issues with my brakes.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline demographic

Rear Brake
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 12:10:02 PM »
Quote from: hughes
I'll try that dot4 or 5. I looked today and my brake pad clip is bent and my caliper doesn't want to slide on the pins. I'm going to attack these first. Thanks

DOT 3 and 4 is NOT compatable with DOT 5, don't use DOT 5 cos it might not be compatable with the rubber seals.

DOT 5.1 however is compatable with DOT 3 and DOT 4 so won't damage owt other than paintwork (same as 3 and 4 then) if it gets on it.
5.1 has a higher boiling temperature than 3 and 4.

LINK WITH FLUID INFORMATION