Author Topic: NOS Wiseco Con Rod Kit: Should I use it?  (Read 6231 times)

Offline manco

NOS Wiseco Con Rod Kit: Should I use it?
« on: December 12, 2015, 07:28:21 AM »
I am about to send off a 98 kx500 bottom end for rebuild. I am going over the parts I gathered up for the build. One part in particular I a wondering about the quality & design of is a Wiseco connecting rod kit I picked up. A few things I have found out about the kit are:

1 The top of the con rod where the piston pin passes through is about .5mm thinner then the OEM rod. In this area the Wiseco rod is about 3.94mm thick while the OEM rod is about 4.4mm thick.

2 The Wiseco rod has two offset oil holes.

3 Wiseco no longer makes this kit.

What I am wondering is the Wiseco rod gonna be a solid performer? or Will the double oil holes & .5mm thinner piston pin bearing wall be prone to failure due to not enough structural integrity surrounding the piston pin? or maybe the Wiseco rod is better because the , two oil holes lube better then one, the top of rod has no hole, the oil holes offset allow more strength in the center upper piston pin bearing wall and Wiseco's rod can use less material on the central upper ridge because its actually stronger?

Thanks for any info or opinions on this rod.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 07:32:03 AM by manco »
"Never contend with a man who has nothing to lose.”
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: NOS Wiseco Con Rod Kit: Should I use it?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 07:33:10 AM »
run a Wossner rod and top end...alward25 and maybe someone else can set you up with what you need...or you can contact Wossner direct...

http://www.wossnerpistons.com/products/mode/filter/search/Kawasaki?fitment-category-id=BBB40D59-0BEE-E011-963B-000C29296656&fitment-category-name=2+Off-road

part number #2039...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 07:48:06 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 07:48:21 AM »
go wossner or oem rod at least

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 07:52:29 AM »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »
Do yourself a favor. Toss the wiseco one in the trash

Offline manco

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
I am going OEM on the rod. The Wiseco only has two slots per side for oil on the lower end on the con rod like the Wossners and every other aftermarket rod I looked at. The OEM KX500 rod has six slots for oil per side and it has slightly longer channels for oil on the radius too. The Wossner rods look strong but the top of the Wossner rods have the two hole pattern for oil like the Wiseco and every other aftermarket rod I looked at though. The slightly larger one hole on the OEM rod keeps more structural mass over the piston pin. Whether two holes vs one on top matters is probably debatable. The OEM Kawi oil hole & channel designs overall plus known reliability clinched the deal in the end. Thanks for the input & pics. OEM it is.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:59:14 AM by manco »
"Never contend with a man who has nothing to lose.”
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline alward25

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 01:49:35 PM »
I just don't know why you would want to spend so much extra money on a sub-par OEM rod.  The extra holes in no way weaken the rod end that is already thicker than stock and better built.  Just trying to see your side of it.
"Let there be light"

Offline AfricaOffroad

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 06:16:12 AM »
I'm about to rebuild my 2001 motor and in a similar predicament.
Can get an oem Conrod kit from the local dealer or a Hotrod setup off eBay.
Problem is oem is exactly twice the price of the Hotrod setup.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 06:21:53 AM »

do not even think about Hot-Rods!
my dealer stopped ordering them for customers almost a year ago, because of the poor quality...and then customers are blaming the dealership for selling them defective parts...or if they had the dealer install them, they're trying to blame the dealers mechanic for improper installation, because they last such a short time.

Wossner or OEM is the only way to go...though I prefer Wossner as my 1st choice.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »

do not even think about Hot-Rods!
my dealer stopped ordering them for customers almost a year ago, because of the poor quality...and then customers are blaming the dealership for selling them defective parts...or if they had the dealer install them, they're trying to blame the dealers mechanic for improper installation, because they last such a short time.

Wossner or OEM is the only way to go...though I prefer Wossner as my 1st choice.
Sandblaster did a comparison of buying a Wossner and sending it to Pinsonnault Racing, versus a Hot Rods kit and they were pretty close to the same.  Pinsonnault has a section on the site under vendors.  If you go that route, you won't ever have to worry about your bottom end staying together.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,15287.0.html
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline AfricaOffroad

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 07:07:05 AM »
I like to do the job right first time.
These motors aren't cheap to rebuild, so guess I better not take any short cuts.
Thanks for the advice, oem it will be.

Sorry I haven't introduced myself.
Based in South Africa, I have a fairly clean 1988 kx500 and a spare 2001 motor that needs a proper rebuild. Probably will fit this motor into an AF chassis in the next 6 to 12 months. First want to do a full restore on the 1988 though.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 07:08:19 AM »
Welcome to the site, good luck with the build!...and post pics as you go! :mrgreen: