Author Topic: Am I crazy?  (Read 3980 times)

JP

Am I crazy?
« on: July 09, 2005, 07:48:03 PM »
Since I have become a KX500 rider I can`t  help but notice the large amount of strange looks and smart comments I`ve recieved for riding a 500. Everybody thinks your crazy. I don`t know what it`s like in the US but here in OZ 500 two strokes are a dying breed.Any feedback guys.

mikesmith

Am I crazy?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 09:36:23 PM »
I think now a days youll find that anywhere,were a dying breed!

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
Am I crazy?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 04:26:27 AM »
Same here!  I race a hare scramble series in new york and i have yet to see a 500 this year.  And in the pits i get alot of comments like, "Wow, you ride that??" I think they're the nutty ones, i cant ever see me riding a different bike, i simply love it.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline machine

Am I crazy?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 04:41:07 AM »
I look forward to those strange looks, and smart comments!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Am I crazy?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 09:00:46 AM »
Most people fear the 500cc dirt bikes. My kx500 is so old everybody just says nice looking OLD bike.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Geoff

Am I crazy?
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 09:32:15 AM »
I bought mine off Timbowe. I was going to buy a 4 stroke (450 or 426), but the 500 was fully rebuilt, reliable and powerful. Took it for a ride in the weekend with a 'ride a 4 stroke till I die' riding friend. He had a ride on mine and thought it was the greatest thing he's ever thrown a leg over, including his wife. Until these valve heads ride a properly sorted 500 they don't know what they're missing. I've got a feeling that every bike I ride from now on will be gutless.

Looks like I'll be keeping the 500 for ever, maybe until Yamaha builds a YZ600F...

Offline Timbowe

Am I crazy?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 12:37:11 PM »
Let the bike talk for its self. Still the gruntiest bike out there. Check the power to weight ratio.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Ramski

Am I crazy?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 05:13:17 PM »
The way I look at it, I have the badest muscle bike out there!!!  Everyone has a CR/YZ 450 small bore.  To me it's like a 1970 Boss 429 Mustang next to a 2005 Mustang.  Which one would you take for a spin???
Danny Lesovsky

TheCultivator

Am I crazy?
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005, 06:50:49 PM »
Agreed...I'll give you a ring in a couple of weeks Tim, will go for a ride. I need a new tire though, ripped all the knobs off the $60 special you had on there, lot of fun. There must be chunks of rubber everywhere on my brothers farm. Hope the sheep stick to grass.

Getting better at launching the rocket up hills, and high speed power wheelies. Because 1st is quite high geared, it's all about momentum, definitely pays to pick your lines before charging into it. The 500 has a huge capacity to hill climb, but 1st gear is a tad too tall. Could gear it down, but then would lose top speed. Anyway...hill climbing is best at pace.

Offline Timbowe

Am I crazy?
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 07:29:59 PM »
Yeah. Seems that a lot of dudes here run wildly big rear sprockets. To me slightly taller gearing seems to make more sense. I mean the thing has enough power to pull like the proverbial school kid and really you can get away no probs on any hillside with the slightest of clutch slip. Plus I do like the high speed thrill. :twisted:
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master