Author Topic: '99 Governor in '00 Engine  (Read 2098 times)

Offline bumpnzx3

'99 Governor in '00 Engine
« on: November 25, 2015, 02:32:04 AM »
I recently purchased a 2000 KX250 to restore. I bought it with a bad engine. I started by sending the cylinder to Millennium to be replated and fitted to the new piston I had. When I went to assemble the engine, I discovered that the inner clutch cover was warped. I bought a replacement off of eBay and it was bad as well. I read in a few places that a '98/'99 would work as well. I found a nice one on eBay for a good price and purchased it. Well....it's somewhat true that the inner clutch covers are interchangeable.You can swap the newer cover onto the older engine, but not the other way around. The newer engine uses a slightly larger governor, so a portion of the inner clutch cover is been milled out a bit larger. The larger governor won't fit into the smaller area on the '98/'99 covers.

With that said, I've found several post about swapping governor assemblies in order to change the characteristics of the power valve. I couldn't find much info on my vintage of bike though. It was mainly for the '03/'04 bikes.

Should I search for another inner clutch cover that's for my bike and use the correct governor assembly or is there something to be gained by using the older inner clutch cover and matching governor assembly? Just curious which part to buy next. I'm ready to button up this project!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:27:02 AM by bumpnzx3 »

Offline Actionman

Re: '99 Governor in '00 Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 04:44:22 PM »
If the teeth count on the old governor is the same as the newer one it'll probably be fine as long as it fits correctly. If the gear ratio is the same it'll at least spin the governor at the same rate as stock. If it spins the tire as soon as you give it throttle, put a shim in the governor assembly to add preload to the spring to delay the opening.