Author Topic: 01 KX125 in need of a good engine builder!  (Read 5103 times)

Offline hotrodhalfton

01 KX125 in need of a good engine builder!
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:20:22 AM »
I just purchased an 01 kx125 in nice shape it ran ok needed some going over but the same day i bought it my son put my 50:1 chain saw gas in it and ripped it down the road as tight as it would go while i was out for awile and it siezed right up locking the rear tire up goin down the road then unsiezed in a few min well when he told me i wasnt to happy.it now has ZERO compression, I havent pulled the top end off yet but im assuming the pistons scorched and the plating is toast. I would like to have a builder in mind when i tear into it. Even if for some wierd reason the platings ok i dont wanna just throw a piston& rings in it. So ontop of the top end plating and also maby some port work I also might need to have the lower end freshend up. i just dont wanna spend a fourtune but i dont wanna discount hack spliting the cases. I live in maine so the closer the better but I'll ship it out if need be. Any recommendations on a shop? Thanks

Offline DoldGuy

Re: 01 KX125 in need of a good engine builder!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 02:11:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum halfton. Do a leak down test BEFORE you remove the top end, this will give very needed information to you or the builder you select.

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline reklessj

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 07:16:46 AM »
I just purchased an 01 kx125 in nice shape it ran ok needed some going over but the same day i bought it my son put my 50:1 chain saw gas in it and ripped it down the road as tight as it would go while i was out for awile and it siezed right up locking the rear tire up goin down the road then unsiezed in a few min well when he told me i wasnt to happy.it now has ZERO compression, I havent pulled the top end off yet but im assuming the pistons scorched and the plating is toast. I would like to have a builder in mind when i tear into it. Even if for some wierd reason the platings ok i dont wanna just throw a piston& rings in it. So ontop of the top end plating and also maby some port work I also might need to have the lower end freshend up. i just dont wanna spend a fourtune but i dont wanna discount hack spliting the cases. I live in maine so the closer the better but I'll ship it out if need be. Any recommendations on a shop? Thanks
I had my K5 totally rebuilt by   (ex factory  Kawasaki mechanic)  not the cheapest but he knows his $h¡+ . Extremely happy!!
There are lots of members that are more than capable just don't know if they are taking on projects
My rides: 1994 KX500, 1988 T4, 1998, ZXI 1100 JETSKI, 2003 MOUNTAIN CAT 900
WIFES (Baby Fiver) rides: 2004 KTM 105SX,1992 LT250R, 1995 ZXI 900 JETSKI,  2011 RMK 600
SONS ride: 1995 YZ125,2002 RM 250
other rides: 2007 RMZ450 RC Ediition, 2003 RMK700

Offline hotrodhalfton

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:03:47 AM »
Im not shure what the last one ment but if i understood it correctly i am quite comfortable doing top ends on bikes ive done a few atvs,mx bikes and my harleys plus ive built (not just assembled)several hot chevy street/strip motors, porting heads,custom parts,stroker mods the works,its gonna need plating and i dont wanna tear it apart untill i at least have a shop in mind vs having it sitting around apart and sitting in pieces looking for a shop but bike shop ya know, crank and seal service itself isnt really an issue its the splitting the cases because i assume ya gotta pull the trans b4 splitting them...? bike trannys r intimidating to me all those gears clips springs forks spacers in such a compact unit and also not having any specialty tools. Its just outa my expertise and i figure leave it to an expert vs grenading it cause i did it myself to save some $. And no idea on porting 2 stroke intake ports.

Offline hotrodhalfton

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 04:33:57 AM »
Another thing i concluded was for a bike that looked in real nice shape it was not maintained well, i told my son the air filter is a good indication of previous maintaininance, and upon inspecting it the air box was full of a rodent nest an the foam filter had large hole chewed in it an some idiot took zip ties and attempted to fix it!  Theres cheap foam filters for $15 not ideal but 200% better than a hole, ive never heard of an air/fuel/oil ratio include a dirt ratio in the formula! That mess swirling around the crank n piston is 1 reason i assume the lower end prob needs service too, its probably in really poor condition and i want to catch hopefully it before its worn beyond repair.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 07:22:47 AM »
To give you an idea of cost we will charge 300.00 to disassemble, inspect, vapor blast, and reassemble.
However, we want to replace every bearing, seal, snap ring, spring, and wear part.
We can provide the parts or you can buy your own and ship them to us.
If you don't want to replace all the wear parts and bearings we don't want to do it as it would not be worth the effort for you or for us especially when you factor in shipping expenses.
If upon disassembly we find any issues we will stop work and contact you before we put any more effort into it.
You can see some examples of our work here:

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1074

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1052

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1088

Another member here that does good work is Todd at Pinsonnault Racing and he is much closer to you then we are.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,10031.0.html

Besides us there is a bunch of excellent members that could do it for you.
Doldguy
Motorrad
Alward25
to name just a few....
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:00:55 AM »

you'll get much more mental satisfaction out of it, if you buy a manual, study it for a couple days, and do it yourself, it's really not that complicated...and you'll save big $$$!
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 08:09:40 AM »
you'll get much more mental satisfaction out of it, if you buy a manual, study it for a couple days, and do it yourself, it's really not that complicated...and you'll save big $$$!

+1
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.