Author Topic: clutch actuator lever arm bearings  (Read 2309 times)

Offline barryadam

clutch actuator lever arm bearings
« on: June 27, 2005, 05:22:13 AM »
OK, I've run out of ideas.  Got all the rest of the bearings out, but my 2001 KX500 engine case will not give up the lower clutch actuator arm needle bearing.

I've tried heat.  Several times.

It's a 13 mm OD, and about 12 mm ID needle bearing pressed into a deep (about 3") dead-end pocket with no relief under the bearing.  That means the bearing is pressed tight to the bottom of the pocket, so you can't get a tool under it.

Now I've roughed it up a bit trying to get an edge on it, so it has to come out.

Any sucess stories out there?  Do all mfgrs have this same design? Everything else seems well engineered, I'm a bit surprised here.

Barry
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 06:02:20 AM »
Barry,
  I feel for you. I had a really tough time getting the power valve shaft bearing out of the clutch cover.  I am not speaking from direct experience with this exact bearing, but since is is a needle bearing the cages generally bend fairly easily.  Can you drive an awl or small chisel between the sidewall and the bearing.  If you can get the cage to bend (fold) inwards then you should be able to extract it.  Alternatively a dremmel can be used to cut the cage. Is there no space or lip at the bottom?  I have modified bolt heads to use as a single lip pullers with great success but you have to have a small lip for it to work. Good luck. Cam.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 06:03:43 AM »
Have you tried cold?  Maybe freeze the case, then heat the area on the outside of the bearing.  Just a thought.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 07:48:10 AM »
Cam,

Yeah, I know what you are saying.  Trouble is this is about 2 1/2 inches down a 3" pocket, and the races are about 1.5 mm wide.  And the pocket is soft alum that seems to attract the sharp edge of whatever I send down there.  I'm going to try to get over to:

http://croziermachine.com

as they make an expanding collet type extractor.  It won't fit under the bearing, but maybe I can catch the upper inside lip...

If I had a machine, I'd put a bit of a stepped recess down there to allow something to get under there for the next time.

Arigato,  thanks for the tip.  That might allow me to cool the bearing a bit, but it is a VERY small mass, and I think it'd heat up quickly to the same temp as the surrounding aluminum.  I'm going to try straight heat and a collet type extractor.

Plus I can expand my kids vocabulary as I burn myself, smoke up the kitchen/oven, and ruin the case half, after spending $$$ on a tool I'll probably never use again.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI