Author Topic: Flywheel weight  (Read 2716 times)

SandToyz

Flywheel weight
« on: June 21, 2005, 08:50:58 PM »
hi guys
I have two bikes fully modid a CR500 and KX500 and i'm using them for hill racing, the KX losing the low end for the CR but at the top end the KX is faster, so do you think if i add weight to the KX flywheel thats will help the bike at the low end and i'll not loose the top end speed??
what do you think guy, how can i make the KX better than the CR500 low end??

Offline Arigato

Flywheel weight
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 03:13:33 AM »
A flywheel weight will not give you more power.  In fact, it slows down the rate at which your motor revs.  If you want your KX to run better for hill racing and you've already ported the cylinder, bored the carb, and milled the head; then try shaving some weight OFF the flywheel to get into the meat of the power faster.

SandToyz

Flywheel weight
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 08:18:10 PM »
Isnt more flywheel weight means lunch harder?

SandToyz

Flywheel weight
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »
The mod. on the bike are:
Stroker crank, 44 carb, custom pipe

Offline Arigato

Flywheel weight
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 02:45:17 AM »
More flywheel weight gives better tractability at low throttle settings, like tight woods or  climbing loose, rocky terrain where wheelspin in not wanted.  You may get a little better launch(lunch) off the start, but it will take longer for the motor to get to the meat of the powerband.  I assume you're racing the hill at the dunes, right?  I had one on one of my CR500's and while it was good in technical desert settings, I took it off for the dunes.  You need to get up on top of the sand as quickly as possible.

Offline Arigato

Flywheel weight
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 03:09:52 AM »
I have a feeling that big 'ol carb you put on there is responsible for some loss of low end.  If you had the head milled, it would bring some of it back.

SandToyz

Flywheel weight
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 12:25:54 AM »
It is already milled