Author Topic: Tubeless Tire  (Read 3407 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Tubeless Tire
« on: June 21, 2005, 02:07:29 PM »
I picked this up off another forum. Any of ya'll tried this.

Tubeless for under $10.00!!! 8:58 AM 6/5/2005

I finally got around to making my rear rim tubeless. I will do the front one next, but I am waiting until the next time I need to change the front tire.

Here's what you need: A tubeless type valve stem, a large cylinder of clear silicone (get at any hardware store), a calk gun to apply the silicone with, and duct tape. That's it.

Clean the inside of the rim off very well, and let it dry. Then apply a big blob of the silicone over each spoke nipple. Let the silicone sit for a few minutes and form a "skin", but not totally dry. Then, take the duct tape (this part is much easier with two people - one to hold and secure the tape, the other to turn the rim) and tightly wrap it around the siliconed spokes. Do about 3 or 4 full wraps with the duct tape, and let it sit and cure overnight. Oh, you'll obviously have to cut a whole in the duct tape at the base of the new valve stem. Also, but some silicone around the base of the valve stem. I suggest filling the tire with air right after applying the duct tape, I think the extra pressure helps push the silicone into all the right places.

It sounds cheap and I was skeptical at first myself, but I figured what do you have to lose? My first test was filling the tire with 60 psi of pressure and letting it sit. No leaks. My next was a quick run around the neighborhood. No leaks. I've done 450 miles on the bike since Friday, and it hasn't lost a tenth of a PSI of pressure."

Thoughts?
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

hoopty

Tubeless Tire
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 02:19:39 PM »
Do they even make a tubeless dirt tire?

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Tubeless Tire
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 02:26:01 PM »
This is how you make it tubeless. There is a guy running this on an 03 kx250. After you let on the air out of your tube the bead is still set. So if you remove the tube and keep the air in the air psi pushes on the bead to keep it locked. This might work.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

hoopty

Tubeless Tire
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 05:58:22 PM »
Ummm, now how do you get the tube out without breaking the bead?

Offline Timbowe

Tubeless Tire
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 06:59:32 PM »
It is easy to replace the tube if you get a flatty. Or repair it. If you hole a tyre your bugered. Hmmm sounds dodgy to me. What advantage does this have?  $0.02 worth.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline beastrider500

Tubeless Tire
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 10:14:24 PM »
What about the rim lock :?:
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'   Homer Simpson

Offline 5dracing

Tubeless Tire
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 12:56:52 AM »
I'd be real scared to do this in the rocks of PA. Also does'nt Michelin make a core to put in their tire that simulates 13psi :?:
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline KXcam22

Tubeless Tire
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 03:13:07 AM »
I can't say that I would ever do that.  What problem are you solving? Once the rim and spokes start flexing and moving around I can't see the air staying in. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Tubeless Tire
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 02:39:21 PM »
After reading more replies on the other forum. These guy's are running 19" rear wheels and want to run low psi. It looks like they are pinching tubes in rocky conditions. I'll stick with my tubes.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

hoopty

Tubeless Tire
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 03:01:16 PM »
Thank God for 120/100X18's ;)