Author Topic: Chinese (GPI) Rads Anybody?  (Read 4071 times)

Offline ecdeyzel

Chinese (GPI) Rads Anybody?
« on: August 18, 2015, 09:08:02 PM »
Hey guys, I am sure this has been discussed before, but has anybody ordered the Chinese GPI radiators on eBay?

I will have to get a pair and they are significantly cheaper than radiators I can get locally. I hear lots of people have fitting issues. Has anybody bought them for a 99-02 KX250? It will be a big risk for me because I don't know what I will do if they don't fit.

Do I rather pay a small fortune for new ones locally that I can take back if something happens, or buy the ebay ones for almost more than half the price less but risk not being able to use them at all?

Ed

2007 Suzuki DR650SE
1999 Kawasaki KX250 (Rebuild in Progress)

Offline SOHC

Re: Chinese (GPI) Rads Anybody?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
I got a Pair of China radiators for like $70 USD, they look ok, the mounts did need tweaking like you say

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:46:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply SOHC. Is it the kinda tweaking the average joe like myself can do? I don't have a welder, nor can I weld. Does it also need tweaks from the plastics side of things?

I just want to make sure I make the right move, I am not keen to waste money.

Thanks!
Ed
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:48:12 PM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline SOHC

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 10:08:06 PM »
Anyone could do it with some care and a big crescent.

Just the tabs needed bending straight .   

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:23:44 PM »
Anyone could do it with some care and a big crescent.

Just the tabs needed bending straight .   

Oh okey, cool, thanks for the info!
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:12:11 AM »
Mine needed grinding to fit.  And all mounts cracked within a year of riding/racing.    I have since tig welded the cracks, and added bracing.   

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
Thanks Motorrad. Is that for your 500 or do you also have a 250? Good to hear you can fit braces with them, because I will look at that in the future.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline gonzo435

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 01:46:14 AM »
Hi, I bought a set of GPI rads along with the hoses, I was actually very impressed with the quality, the fit on my 2001 kx 250 was good I had to heat my fuel tank and push it up about a 1/4 of an inch where it rubbed on the weld on the left side , I also noticed my fmf fatty pipe was going to rub on the bottom of the right side . I fixed this with a small aluminum spacer between the frame and the upper pipe mount.  Overall very easy fixes for the price savings and after several rides I have no complaints.   

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 01:56:04 AM »
On my 500.   I also had to knock the upper rad tube in a bit as it hit the tank....

There are pictures of my rad braces somewhere on here.

Offline MXonaKawi

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 11:39:08 AM »
Hey guys, I am sure this has been discussed before, but has anybody ordered the Chinese GPI radiators on eBay?

I will have to get a pair and they are significantly cheaper than radiators I can get locally. I hear lots of people have fitting issues. Has anybody bought them for a 99-02 KX250? It will be a big risk for me because I don't know what I will do if they don't fit.

Do I rather pay a small fortune for new ones locally that I can take back if something happens, or buy the ebay ones for almost more than half the price less but risk not being able to use them at all?

Ed

I bought them for my 00' KX 125 and the fit was perfect. A bit bulkier than stock but they look better. Only issue was a pinhole on one of the spouts. A little stopleak fixed it right away and I've had no issues since 6 months later.