Author Topic: top-end  (Read 2251 times)

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
top-end
« on: May 30, 2005, 12:42:36 PM »
Its time for a new top end.  What are the specs on the play of the rod while i'm at it, to see if i need to do a bottom end job while i'm at it.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
top-end
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 02:48:09 PM »
1) Small end of the rod I.D 24.002 - 24.013mm max wear limit 24.05mm.
2) Connecting rod side clearance .40 - .50mm max wear limit .7mm.

That should cover the rod.

I would feel for any movement by pulling up on the rod and rotate the crank and feel or listen for any thing from the main bearings. If any of the above are out of spec the cases will need to be split anyways so order some main bearings. Somebody may have a better way of detecting bad main bearings.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
top-end
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 01:54:58 PM »
I took it to a local shop and they said i should send the cylinder out to get re-plated.  They said "electorfusion" plating or something. But i'm sending mine out to get nikasil plated. Whats the difference between electrofusion and nikasil? I'm sending it to Kustom Kraft, they said a 5-10 day turn around (fastest i could find), and its pretty cheap.  $329 to re-plate and with a piston kit.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
top-end
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 03:29:43 PM »
I would say that elertorfusion is the process for plating and Nikasil is the material used . I may be wrong.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

reknelb

top-end
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 02:21:32 AM »
Just took a quick look at gorr's site. He charges 500 for a 520 big bore, porting, plating, piston, and gaskets. I think it even includes some head machining depending on what fuel you want to use. Only issue you might have is turn around.