Author Topic: '98 KX500 - Won't Start - Kicks back when kicked over  (Read 10946 times)

Offline manco

Re: '98 KX500 - Won't Start - Kicks back when kicked over
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 04:06:31 AM »
Is anyone manufacturing a heavier then OEM rotor? I would like the extra weight but could do without the separate flywheel weight. A heavier rotor with lock nut would be more reliable then a tightened set screwed separate weight I would think especially against 2T vibrations. The weight would be closer to crank center too if it was in the rotor which would be less stress on the crank I would think.
"Never contend with a man who has nothing to lose.”
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline Rock_93

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »
The ignition with the lighting coil that is sold on this forum comes with a heavy weight or without. You will need a dial indicator that screws into your spark plug hole to set it up. It really smooth's out the power almost to much. It runs better with the new ignition.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
retard your ignition timing a little bit to eliminate this backfiring... 

heavier weighted flywheels were available from kawasaki, but not cheap...  ask your local kawasaki dealer..
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline manco

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 04:24:06 PM »
The ignition with the lighting coil that is sold on this forum comes with a heavy weight or without. You will need a dial indicator that screws into your spark plug hole to set it up. It really smooth's out the power almost to much. It runs better with the new ignition.

Cool. I will look into this.
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »
retard your ignition timing a little bit to eliminate this backfiring...  

heavier weighted flywheels were available from kawasaki, but not cheap...  ask your local kawasaki dealer..

1 KX500 ignition timing is not adjustable without modification due to fixed screw holes. Therefore it is impossible for a KX500's ignition to advance or retard whether on purpose by a mechanic of by accident. For other 2T motors with adjustable timing this diagnosis is relevant but not for a KX500 with an unmodified stator plate.

2 I have found no evidence whatsoever of various flywheel weights available through Kawasaki for any year KX500. All years of kx500 I have seen part schematics for show only one flywheel weight per year model. Post some part numbers / evidence or such flywheels should be assumed to not exist. Quick Side Note: It is possible that as Kawasaki made changes to the ignition system throughout the KX500 model year history that various flywheels compatible with certain years of ignition system may have different weights. The only way to know would be to weigh for instance a 1989-1991 flywheel vs 1992-2004 flywheel.

3 In case you missed this thread's first page, "The problem is a sheared flywheel key & damaged crank."

Not trying to be harsh. Just want to set straight what can be for future readers of this thread. Thanks for your input.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 04:44:03 PM by manco »
― Baltasar Gracián