Author Topic: Tank brass thread insert  (Read 3729 times)

Offline Swe_K5_89

• >> KX500 -89 <<
Tank brass thread insert
« on: August 28, 2015, 05:06:10 AM »
Any one that have a advice on how to change the brass thread insert in the tank?
One of mine have a crack..
Do I nee do get the insert fabricated or is there any one available as part?
1989 KX500
1981 YZ465

Offline motovet

Re: Tank brass thread insert
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 01:51:17 PM »
I pulled one out by heating the plastic with an electric heat gun and was able to pull it out and replace it. When I reinstalled mine, I put a little epoxy in there also just to be sure it did not spin. I put a vice grip on the bolt with light pressure while I was heating it and it worked better than I expected.

Offline bens87braap

• Be good or be good at it!!!
    • Bens You Tube
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 07:08:05 PM »
spin that sucka with a drill on high speed and it melts the epoxy  :-D

Offline Swe_K5_89

• >> KX500 -89 <<
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 07:44:45 AM »
Motovet: Where did you get the new insert from? Made by your self?
1989 KX500
1981 YZ465

Offline motovet

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »
I reused the old one. In my case, the threads were balled up. The bolt would not come loose and the insert would spin in the tank. I used a die grinder to grind the head off the bolt to get the shroud out of the way, and not destroy it, then I pulled the insert from the tank. Once it was out I was able to drill the bolt out and tap the insert. If yours is unusable, let me know, I have a tank from a mid 90`s kx I would be willing to pull one out and you could have it.

Offline b4himdude

• You gotta love to tinker
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:27:45 PM »
as long asyou are talking about the inserts that you use to bolt the shrouds on i have an alternative to melting away the tank. i cut me off a bolt that fits inside the brass threaded insert and mixed me up a nice batch of jb weld put the nub of the bolt into the insert that just spins and spins so that it stuck out far enough to get through the shroud and let it cure real good. now it works just the same but instead of putting the bolt on i just put the nut on the bolt. and the brass piece doesnt move at all now. problem solved.and whoever reads this are the only ones that would know even by looking you cant tell the difference
hell ,i,m so broke . if it cost a nickle to take a s**t, id have to puke.....

Offline Swe_K5_89

• >> KX500 -89 <<
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:10 AM »
That was another way to solve the problem. Will consider that if I can't find a insert. Thanks!
1989 KX500
1981 YZ465