Author Topic: 91 pwk39 question.  (Read 3050 times)

Offline shoe757

91 pwk39 question.
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
Just recently bought an 03 Kx250 with a 91 500 motor transplant. It was running what seemed pretty rich and kind of choking on acceleration. Tore the carb off today to clean it and maybe move the needle clip up a position. Well the 6mm nut on top is stripped and I have no idea how else to remove it. I'm trying not to dish out $200+ for a used one. Has anyone had this problem, has anyone successfully replaced the pwk39 with a better carb that's more readily available for parts?

thanks,
Will

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 91 pwk39 question.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:26:56 AM »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:38:10 AM »
when you put it back together, don't go crazy tightening that bolt back in....just snug it, or you will be having the same problem again.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 12:11:40 PM »
after i checked the needle positinoing i tried getting the cable back in the slot that holds it, but i could not hold the spring back enough to do so and ended up cramping my index finger, so i got quit angry and attached the cable without the spring and then kinda hooked the spring on the cable and twisted it on, so what is the correct way to install the cable back onto the slide?
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline shoe757

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:50:46 AM »
Wouldn't see why that would be a problem. And I appreciate the help guys but I already tried tapping a socket on. May have tweaked the needle some in the process so it looks like I won't be racing this weekend. Thanks for the fast responses guys!

Offline justreal

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 12:12:32 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned on a different thread but , a little valve grinding compound in the socket will give what I refer to as "teeth" and help keep it from camming over also works wonders for allen head and phillips head and regular slot head screws.

Offline tecate3

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:20:09 PM »
ever tried holding the spring/plastic spacer back on a Mikuni while screwing in 2 little screws inside the slide for the throttle cable? Way worse than Keihin, lol.

I just picked up a 39mm KX5 pwk that has lots of slide wear and have another one in better shape that needs the bowl screws and slide stop. Between the 2 there is probably one good carb. I dont even need them though.