Author Topic: Is this KX 500 for me?  (Read 4001 times)

mg175150

Is this KX 500 for me?
« on: May 25, 2005, 12:30:27 PM »
I am brand new to the world of dirt bikes. I have a friend who is trying to get rid of a 1999 Kawasaki KX500 for $2000. The bike is in very good condition and hasn't been riden all that much.

I live in a mountainous area with plenty of forest as well as open space. I wanna ride on trails but also want to ride in open space and learn how to hit jumps.

1. First off is this a good deal? The bike is in my home town and thus I would not have to travel anywhere to get it.

2. I have heard from a few people this week that a KX500 is about as powerful as it gets, and some said to powerful to even have fun. How true is this observation?

3. If I do go on trails in the forest and can't always be going 80 mph, is the power band on the KX500 way to touchy to even have fun?

4. Why are the KX250's worth more than the KX500's? My buddy said the 250's have better technology? Why aren't there many 500 class motocross races, in comparison to the many 250 class?

5.  Seems like more people are talking me out of the bike as opposed to recommending it.  Why is this?

Forgive my ignorance on any questions. Like I said I am brand new to this. I'm afraid that if I don't buy this bike I may never get one at all.

By the way I am 27 yrs old, 5' 10", 180 lbs, and relatively physically fit.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 12:55:24 PM »
1) Yes, That is a good deal if the bike has no signs of abuse and has had good maintenance.

2) Yes, It's as powerful as it's get. The best versatile bike ever. Throttle control is key to having fun.

3) No, the power band is not to touchy but requires good throttle control. May need to change gearing for trails and look for a good exhuast system. FMF gnarly low-mid pipe, Pro circuit platinum2 low-mid pipe.

4) Your buddy is probably right about 250 technology. The 500 has now changed much in 15 years.

5) Most poeple are intimidated by the 500. My first bike I learned to ride was a 500. The 500 will be the most reliable bike you will own. Poeple still look at me funny when I tell them what I ride. Poeple will look at you like you are a god for riding the KX500. A friend of mine has been riding for 20 years and he will not get on my 500.

Hope this helps. Welcome.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Arigato

Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 03:59:53 PM »
Cross over to the dark side!  It's a great bike and that's a good deal if it's in good shape.

BrianSM

Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 05:35:28 PM »
Buy it !! Its my first bike.....It wins races and trails very good, find the right gearing 14/49 or a bit more and you will get lazy cuz it will pull you out of more trouble than you know.....gotta ride one....then you will get wood and pay more than the asking price..... :twisted:  :D

mikesmith

Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 10:00:22 PM »
Quote from: hughes
1) Yes, That is a good deal if the bike has no signs of abuse and has had good maintenance.

2) Yes, It's as powerful as it's get. The best versatile bike ever. Throttle control is key to having fun.

3) No, the power band is not to touchy but requires good throttle control. May need to change gearing for trails and look for a good exhuast system. FMF gnarly low-mid pipe, Pro circuit platinum2 low-mid pipe.

4) Your buddy is probably right about 250 technology. The 500 has now changed much in 15 years.

5) Most poeple are intimidated by the 500. My first bike I learned to ride was a 500. The 500 will be the most reliable bike you will own. Poeple still look at me funny when I tell them what I ride. Poeple will look at you like you are a god for riding the KX500. A friend of mine has been riding for 20 years and he will not get on my 500.

Hope this helps. Welcome.
Well thanks for saving me all the typing as you have the same answer I would have written!Get the 500,and take your time getting used to it,when you do you'll love it!

moburki

Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 08:08:14 AM »
Works great in the mountains, more useable torque at low rpms than anything I have ridden, you can really lug this motor.

NastyNick

Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 10:19:07 AM »
same with all the above, but we are biased :)  I would make one suggestion on a pipe.  Go with the FMF Gnarly Torque version.  It give its loads more power down low and it seemed help my woods/mountain riding and its still fun at the track and the dunes.

One thing I would also like to be more clear on.  Throttle control.  Learn it and give the K5 a lot more respect than you would any other bike.  The KX500 will hurt you if you disrespect it. ;)

Offline Ramski

Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2005, 03:44:07 PM »
My .02 cents.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you know what to check for when buying a used bike or for that matter a KX500.  I made the same mistake buying my 1999 KX500.  Check the top rear shock mount as they are prone to cracking and busting off.  Check your upper pipe mount while your at it too.

The KX500 makes a good trail bike if your out to just trail ride.  I would say if your serious about racing, the KX500 would not make a good race bike for the woods.  They just don't turn fast in tight stuff.  At least not for me.  I like the KX500 because you can be REAL lazy with the clutch and the motor is super smooth!

Learn to ride it in the highest gear possible and you'll love it!  The bike is super reliable compared to the newer four strokes.  Parts can be found all over the internet and Kawasaki dealers still carry all the parts.

They eat tires like cazy, but you'll have the muscle car of dirt bikes! :)
Danny Lesovsky

Offline 5dracing

Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 11:46:14 PM »
Find yourself a flywheel weight. that will help with the throttle control and also will make it an even better woods/trail machine. When I first rode my 99 I was wondering if I made a mistake buying the 500, After a few months I don't want to be without it. I find that when jumping the 500 I tend to go slow and the bike falls out of the jump, these landings are pretty hard, but you have to consider I'm 6'2" and 240lbs with all stock components. I rode last weekend with some guy's on 4 strokes and I found that after taking a break from riding I would wait to start the KX until allthe other guys got their bikes going again. The KX started first kick every time. The guys on the 4 strokes kicked about a half dozen times every time we stopped.

Can't wait for this day to be over. 20 gal of gas ready to go. I have the entire weekend to ride until the wheels fall off.... or I do!!!!!!
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Kawadougie

Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 03:36:13 AM »
Danny is right about the KX500 not turning very well in the woods.  I do ride enduros with mine but I have an EFM auto clutch and have dropped the front forks 1" in the triple clamps which helps it turn a bit faster.  Try going leaner with the pilot jet.  Factory jetting is pretty fat on the bottom.

Offline Ramski

Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 05:34:49 AM »
I WANT AN AUTO CLUTCH!!! :)
Danny Lesovsky

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 10:58:24 AM »
I beg to differ. With the risk of sounding like a wuss...

The 'issue' with the KX5 is related to the power, or rather the way the power is delivered. If this is your first dirt bike ever, don't go KX5. Start off with a KDX or a similar bike. I think you will enjoy that more unless you have the same power craving like most people in this forum.

I'll try to explain the rationale behind this:

The KX5 is one of the most powerful dirt bikes you can lay your hands on. As mentioned above; throttle control is key with this machine. When you get tired and have arm pump it is not easy - and it becomes dangerous - to have 60 crazy hp controlled with your right hand. The KX5 delivers power in a very brutal (on/off) fashion. Look at the power and torque curves and you will understand.

This is not a beginners bike and there is a good reason people (including 500+ four stroke riders) have respect for it.

Again, my advice would be to buy a less powerfull bike (still, with enough torque) and learn how to ride on dirt  - and how to enjoy it. When you are comfortable with this bike you can get a more powerfull machine that matches your skills and could make you go faster.

I also have a KX125. It delivers enough HP most of the time but obviosly lacks the KX5 grunt in the lower rpm's. This forces me to change gears and always keep it in high rews. You will adjust your riding techniques to the power of the bike you are riding. The same is also the true if you are scared of the power. The result is that you won't be using all the power - which means that you will ride slower than you should on a less tempramental bike.

That was a lot of text...

//John

Offline Ramski

Is this KX 500 for me?
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 12:18:34 PM »
As a first bike the KX500 is probably not the best choice.  Simply because it makes you really lazy.  I can't even ride a 250 or a 125 for that matter anymore.  I don't know how to use the clutch to ride anything smaller than a 500.  When i do ride a 250, I run out of gears real quick.
Danny Lesovsky