Author Topic: Kx60 with kx80 motor  (Read 9738 times)

Offline Rlopatic99

Kx60 with kx80 motor
« on: January 14, 2016, 04:27:23 AM »
This is my first post. I wanna get some feedback on my project. I started out with a kx 60 frame its from an air cooled model and a 1986 kx80 (liquid cooled) that was running but it shotty condition. I decided to pull the motor out of the 80 and shove it in the 60 for a sick pitbike build. The rear motor mount fit and i welded new middle and front mounts. I had to chop up the 80s exhaust and franken weld it together to fit. Its huge on this bike! I have a little more fab to do, but right now the biggest problem i have it the radiator. The kx80s radiator will not fit so im wondering if a kx60 one will fit. Did the air cooled frame change when the 60 became water cooled? Any suggestions?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Kx60 with kx80 motor
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:31:43 AM »
welcome to the site.

if you have means to a welder, or someone that's good at welding, I see no reason why you couldn't mock up a set of 60 rads to work...you'd just have to keep an eye on how hot it runs, it may be ok, but then again, it might get too hot.
With a will....there's a way...you may have to get a little creative.

post some pics if you get a chance....
here's a "how-to"...

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,10040.0.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 04:46:43 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Rlopatic99

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 11:57:48 PM »
Well i have the will and the welder. Im a little concerned with running temperature if i used a kx 60 radiator on the kx 80 motor. The newer kx60 used a single radiator just like the kx80 i pulled apart but theres like a 3-4" difference in height. Im definitely not getting on custom made.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 12:02:49 AM »
no, I wasn't implying getting one made....but maybe find an old Tecate rad, and mount it on the front of down tubes of the frame...you'd probably have to mod the back of the front fender for clearance.

something similar to this...

Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Rlopatic99

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »
Ive considered that. It may be the best bet. I really like that bike too. Thanks for the input. Hopefully i can get some progress on this thing. I have to widen the foot pegs so you dont burn yourself on the big ass exhaust. Also need to make a different mid-pipe/ muffler. Im gonna be doing a double barrel setup its gonna be cool. Haha, if you cant tell, I dont really care how it looks i just wanna have something that nobody else does and make sure its fun!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 10:19:23 AM »
sounds cool!...take pics and post em up as you go! 8-)

Offline Rlopatic99

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »
So for now i pulled the gas tank off for more room and mounted the kx80 radiator. I have a few small gas tanks that i can mount up to at least try it out. All i need is a chain and a rear brake. The engines gonna need rebuilt very shortly so when that happens i will clean up my fab work and paint everthing. Ill post pictures shortly, just havent got around to doing the signup to link photos.