Author Topic: Bar vibration dampeners  (Read 2992 times)

Offline 5dracing

Bar vibration dampeners
« on: May 12, 2005, 07:11:57 AM »
Did a search and read some old posts about bar dampeners. Are there still good reports about the Fasstco's. I've gotten over the arm pump by remebering to squeeze with the legs, but my hands have the pins and needles feeling after about 20 minutes. I have pro taper bars and mounts with bark buster hand gaurds.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Bar vibration dampeners
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 07:25:29 AM »
For those Do-It-Yourselfers out there, I had some old fishing sinkers (Lead)that I melted into a mold (block of wood) They came out around 6" long are heavier than Brass(Fasstco's)  work like a charm and cost alot less than $50.  Either way though, Bar inserts DO make a difference.

Offline GDubb

Bar vibration dampeners
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 03:41:44 PM »
I do forearm stretches and arm warmups before every ride while my bike warms up and still get arm-pump within the first half hour of every ride. But I ride through it and its like my arms warm up and get a sort of second-wind and then I can ride all day long after that. I also have bulge bars, and ever since Ive ridden with these bars I have noticed that the arm-pump is less severe and takes less time to subside. I think it is more getting used to working the brake and clutch levers than from vibration.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Timbowe

Bar vibration dampeners
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 04:26:58 PM »
I dont do any stretches or the like. But get the ol pumped arms about 5 mins in for bout 20 mins. Big gob fulls of air in through nasal cavities and exausted through the cake hole. Apparently the snorer mixes the ratio of gas that is required to function in the lungs for optimin performance. An asthmatic told me bout it. Like he's been off the drugs for a couple of years and practices this breathing thing. Works in the same theory for the muscles. Delivering the right amount of O2. Works for me anyway. :o
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline 5dracing

Bar vibration dampeners
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 01:31:59 AM »
I am very much a Do-it-yourselfer and have plenty of lead. I use to cast my own bullets for competative pistol shooting and still have about 50lbs of lead in my garage. What I'm wondering now is what diameter did you use. do these dampeners fit snuggly in the bars the full length of the dampener or are they loose and just mounted tight in the bar end.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline 2002KX500

Bar vibration dampeners
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 04:29:43 AM »
I have the Fasstco anti-vibe bar inserts. I meant to do a formal review on them, but haven't had time.  I did have the numb hands when I first got the bike.  I installed them and it went away.  The thing is, I bought thermal gloves and rode more..so i couldn't tell you if it was exactly the bar inserts.  I can still feel vibration in the bars, but it doesn't affect me.  I would buy them again.  Any little bit helps.  Good luck.

Kevin

mikesmith

Bar vibration dampeners
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 09:47:31 PM »
Weights work,but Pro-Tapers help a lot and fill it with expandable foam,or the ends (straight part) with silicone.Its lighter and cheaper (unless you allready have the lead as you mentioned).

Bar vibration dampeners
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 12:11:31 AM »
5dracing,

I measured the inside of the bar end (can't remember the exact size at the moment) then used the closest drill bit for the 6"x6" block of wood. I cast a small piece of wire in a hoop shape into the weight end for future removal. A small amount of silicone holds the weight in place.
As far as adding weight to the bike, I figured I'd never notice a few ounces on a KX500.

Initially to test the bar weight theory, I placed a weight in only one bar end. After riding a while, I did find the side with the weight viberated noticably less.

Timbowe is right about the breathing thing as well. I try to breath the same way and it works great when I actually remember to do it!