Author Topic: How did the stock 2000 KX250 run?  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Actionman

How did the stock 2000 KX250 run?
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:22:06 PM »
I finally finished my year-long resto project,basket-case 2000 kx250. It looks, feels, and runs great! Which leads me to the question: my bike has a natural finish pro circuit pipe and short silencer. It has been sleeved and is unported. My bike has a decent amount of low end power, the midrange is pretty substantial, and the upper midrange feels like an Atlas rocket. Im not sure about top end because i havent stretched its legs yet. Was the stock 2000 powerband similar to what im describing? I ask because im assuming the pro circuit pipe has taken away low end and strengthened the upper mid to top end, which would be similar to what im feeling when i ride it. Anyone have a magazine review they can share or firsthand knowledge? Thanks!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: How did the stock 2000 KX250 run?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 11:45:43 PM »
I did a complete rebuild to my '00 about 2 years ago....and yes, it absolutely rips. Awesome low end and mid range...these had a close ratio tranny, so they sign off fairly early.
the only major changes, are a Wossner top end, the cylinder casting flaws were only cleaned up, nothing crazy, PC pipe shorty silencer, and I played with the gearing for a while until I settled on 12-47, which works well for me. I like how it handles better than my '04 did as well.

Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Actionman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 02:32:33 AM »
I love the graphics and seat on yours. I just got my graphics kit for $25, which is why I used it lol. I think I may have two extra rear teeth as well but i forgot if it does or if i went stock gearing. Anyway, the bike is the fastest 250 Ive ridden, and ive ridden a few. Good stuff.

Offline Actionman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 02:39:21 AM »
I FORGOT to add that I noticed that the main power valve hung down about 2-4mm into the intake stream when I was assembling the top end! To me, it looked possibly as if the flap only could open a certain amount. I took my dremel and carved out a pocket in the roof of the exhaust portion of the cylinder so that the main valve disappears flush and is out of the exhaust flow. Looks to me like a kawasaki design flaw and not just a problem on my bike. Anyone else notice this?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 02:46:04 AM »
I paid a lot for those graphics...they're OEM that I found on e-bay from the Netherlands....it was $180 with shipping, and I stuck them on OEM shrouds.
the seat I found on e-bay too, I don't remember what I paid for it...but it was under $100....there's always 99-02 OEM seats on e-bay.

Frank of EVO is one of better guys to get OEM style graphics and seat covers from....very good quality, decent prices, he has TONS of graphics and decals that aren't listed on his site, but he can make up just about any OEM graphic you want in a few days if he doesn't have what you're after...and his shipping is pretty quick.   

http://www.evo-mx.com/mall/departmentpage.cfm/EvoMx/_419844/1
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Actionman

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 05:49:44 AM »
The next time I do a frame-up servicing of my bike its getting a silver frame, blue seat cover, and 1985-style radiator graphics-complete with the "works replica" tagline on the shrouds. Also, the small '250' stickers that were on the 1985 side panels :) The 85-86 bikes were truly beautiful to my eyes.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »
The next time I do a frame-up servicing of my bike its getting a silver frame, blue seat cover, and 1985-style radiator graphics-complete with the "works replica" tagline on the shrouds. Also, the small '250' stickers that were on the 1985 side panels :) The 85-86 bikes were truly beautiful to my eyes.

that would look cool.