Author Topic: reed flutter?  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: reed flutter?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »
the gear dogs did have wear on them when I rebuilt the motor and trans. the shift fork pins were also below minimum specs. I couldn't find new replacement forks because they are discontinued and buying a crap ton of shift forks to find good used ones in spec didn't seem to be cost effective. I am not sure when I'll be able to ride it again. I know in august will be my next chance. where would I find gears and forks if it is indeed the trans dropping out of gear? and if I have to tear it back down, I will be sending my spare 300 big bore out to get repaired.

my 500 was doing exactly the same thing a little over a year ago...the main problem was a busted snap ring, a snap ring that was only 4 months old....I could run it hard through the gears, and once I clicked into 5th, within a couple seconds it would jump back into 4th...and scare the f**k outa me cause the rpm's went way too high.
Once I got it pulled apart, I also found the forks were worn, 2nd-3rd-4th-5th gears were all worn...the drum had some wear....there were a lot of things that contributed to it failing. So at that point, it made more sense to just replace the entire tranny and shift mechanism...as I had no interest mating new parts to old parts.

I know it may not be the best choice financially, but it might be easier to find a newer year motor where parts are more readily available...or...find a 500 motor and stuff it in there! :-)
Either way, keep us posted...and good luck.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline bansheedave

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 01:38:02 PM »
I have a 500 waiting in the wings for an eventual build.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 01:42:43 PM »
cool...what type of build?, an AF build or something different?...or is it still a secret?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline bansheedave

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 02:10:36 AM »
cool...what type of build?, an AF build or something different?...or is it still a secret?
it's an AF build. I have it currently sitting in a 99 honda cr125 frame.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 06:27:00 AM »
ahhhh...I think I remember reading/seeing something about that at one point.

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 06:49:03 AM »
He's just teasing us with it at this point.  

« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:56:35 AM by umberto »
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 06:51:54 AM »
I've seen it.

Offline bansheedave

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »
Lol, what a nice looking picture. I have to report that the kx250 doesn't push air back threw the carb.