Author Topic: Adding or changing Fork oil?  (Read 4560 times)

Eric Meyer

Adding or changing Fork oil?
« on: July 20, 2006, 09:27:29 PM »
Are there any special tools required to add and or check the Fork oil level? Do you have to take the forks out of the trees to do so? Just looking for a few guidelines to see what I'm getting into...

Eric Meyer

Re: Adding or changing Fork oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:45:57 PM »
Bump Anyone?

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:26:37 AM »
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:54:02 AM »
I find it to be best if the forks are removed from the clamps. No special tools required for changing the oil. You will need to know what oil level specs for your forks. I made a fork level gauge out of a syringe and a clear hose cut to the right length. Once the forks are drained I refill with fresh oil and then you will need to pump the fork leg up and down to purge all the air out of the system. Do you have a manual for your bike??
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 06:12:38 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Arigato

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 02:39:41 AM »
What is a synigen? :mrgreen:

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 06:13:25 AM »
What is a synigen? :mrgreen:

My spelling sucks. I corrected it I think.  :-D
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Arigato

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 06:31:05 AM »
I knew what you meant, I was just giving you a hard time. :-D 

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 05:32:55 PM »
If you do them with the forks in the trees, the main thing is to have the tubes almost vertical which you can do by tipping the bike forward on a stand until the forks are fully compressed.  A tie down can be used to keep them compressed while you add oil.  If the oil has been in awhile it is best to take the forks out (as hughes says).  That way you can pump the old oil out easier along with any gray deposits.  Not sure what others do, but I always flush my forks with some varsol to get as much of the aluminum deposits out. The deposits settle in the bottom of the fork which clogs up the base valve (compresion) and the clicker adjuster. Hope this helps. Cam.

Eric Meyer

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 09:26:36 PM »
Thanks for all the good info. When measuring the Oil level, are you measuring the oil volume or the level in the fork? Also which weight oil should I get? Manual calls for 5wt I think.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 08:53:26 AM »
Eric,
  With newer bikes that have inverted forks you are measuring the actual oil level, that is the measurement of how far the top of the oil surface is from the top of the fork tube (with the forks fully compressed).  I messed up on my earlier reply in that to change oil you must remove the forks to empty the oil. The 5wt is correct. Make sure it is for cartridge forks - which most is now days. Kayaba 01 should be the right stuff but any brand name (maxima, Belray etc.) equivalent will be fine.  Unfortunately most bottles are 1000cc which is not quite enough to do both forks.  For example, my 500 takes about 580cc per leg so I am 160cc short on a change with one bottle. Sometime I reuse 160cc from the cleanest part of the old oil (after you let any contaminants settle out) so I can make do with one bottle and not have most of the 2nd bottle sitting around. Hope this helps. Cam.