Author Topic: Head Gasket replacement ???  (Read 2579 times)

BrianSM

Head Gasket replacement ???
« on: April 10, 2005, 01:52:47 PM »
My last event (flat track and TT) My coolant is over flowing my overflow bottle, the engine is running for about 4-5 minutes.....the bike doesn't seem to be running hot, I replaced the rad cap (1.1) didn't help, the volume of coolant sputting out increased when I rev the engine in neutral.
there is a gas/oil smell and discoloration in the rad fluid.... because its a track bike I run water wetter........up till now the bike has been flawless......I'm assuming the head gasket....while its apart rings gaskets etc ...??? any help would be appreciated, SM race in 10 days, I won't run the engine again till I fix......

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 02:10:39 PM »
It sounds like your waterpump seal. It is an easy fix and takes no time. Check your oil, I'm betting it is grey and milky. Your oil and water can not mix through the head gasket. If it the water is leaking into the piston and burning, which is unlikely, then it is your waterpump seal. Check it and let us know. It is normal for this to go out every few years.

BrianSM

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 03:56:53 PM »
Quote from: gowen
It sounds like your waterpump seal. It is an easy fix and takes no time. Check your oil, I'm betting it is grey and milky. Your oil and water can not mix through the head gasket. If it the water is leaking into the piston and burning, which is unlikely, then it is your waterpump seal. Check it and let us know. It is normal for this to go out every few years.

I got back last week from a knarly rain race !!! My oil window had moisture on it....one of my track buddies said its because of the intense rain storm we were racing in :oops: It didn't make sense I have ridden off road and almost submerged the engine and never had the problem....that pump has been off a couple times hastily in the pits....the exhaust is not white or steamy..... I will check tommorrow.... Thank You, makes sense....I will let you know.....

BrianSM

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 05:25:09 PM »
I redid the top end last week...everything except the piston.......I could see where piston compression was going into the cooling system, thats why with a slight twist of the throttle the coolant would overflow, it was pressurizing  the system.... the impeller seal isn't under any real pressure cause the crankcase isn't under pressure ....when the impellor seal starts to go it allows coolant into the oil....That was happening as well.... doesn't take much coolant to make the oil go slightly milky !!!

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 06:48:11 PM »
BrianSM,

You can go this way :wink:
(Bad pic, but I`m not a photographer) :cry:

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 02:38:08 AM »
Doordie,
  Nice o-ring grooves.  Cool. Cam.

BrianSM

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 05:47:49 AM »
Boy that sure looks cool....anymore info....? I would like to go big bore as well with porting etc and a reedblock........I would like more down end grunt....I have been experimenting with gearing, tight tracks are 14/44, with that combo in second gear roll ons I go by 525 smr's with built motors
quite easily......

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »
BrianSM,

Powernow is a good mods to get more "rideable" power for "roll ons",works like a smal carb in low rpm and no restriction at high rpm. :wink:

Maybe a gnarly pipe,lots of info in search about that pipe. :?

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!