Author Topic: buying a 1994 kx500, what to look for?  (Read 7371 times)

Offline alexander-vmann

buying a 1994 kx500, what to look for?
« on: May 02, 2015, 01:20:06 AM »
i woke up this morning to see that there was a kx500 for sale on finn (norway's craiglist) i tried a 2006 cr250 last year a figuerd big two strokes are more fun than my 2013 kx250f and have been looking to swap my bike for one ever since, so i called the guy and asked if he'd be innterssed in trading bikes, since he was selling his bike to buy a four stroke he was, but when i go to do the trading what should i look for? he told me that the kx500 had run 5 hours since last engine overhaul, but are the other things to look for, things that migth be paticular to a 94' kx500? Thanks for replys in advance
KX 500 newbie

my bike: 1993 kx500

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: buying a 1994 kx500, what to look for?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 01:31:22 AM »
check the VIN first to be sure it's really a '94, and not stolen...a lot of falsely listed bikes out there.
I'm not sure what your plans are with it....but all I care about when buying a used bike, is that everything works, such as shifts in and out of each gear as it should, and that it's ALL there.
Whenever I buy a used bike, I go into it expecting to spend anywhere from $3000 to $5000 on a complete rebuild, in some cases, more than that.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:42:17 AM »
check the VIN first to be sure it's really a '94, and not stolen...a lot of falsely listed bikes out there.
I'm not sure what your plans are with it....but all I care about when buying a used bike, is that everything works, such as shifts in and out of each gear as it should, and that it's ALL there.
Whenever I buy a used bike, I go into it expecting to spend anywhere from $3000 to $5000 on a complete rebuild, in some cases, more than that.
thanks for replying, im going to test drive the bike first ofcourse is there a way i can tell that the bike is in not so good condition except for obviuous sign like misfire ofcourse, maybe by the smell of the exhaust or sound of engine?
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 07:53:36 AM »
thanks for replying, im going to test drive the bike first ofcourse is there a way i can tell that the bike is in not so good condition except for obviuous sign like misfire ofcourse, maybe by the smell of the exhaust or sound of engine?

excessive vibration, is a classic sign of pure neglect and lack of maintenance....i.e...worn crank bearings...even the bearings in the frame neck and suspension/linkage will cause vibration if they're worn out.
You should have a pretty good idea the first few seconds you look at it if it's been well maintained and cared for or not.
Get some pics or video if possible. :-)
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 08:48:50 AM »
Besides everything already suggested, bring a stand with you and put the bike on it.
Then grab the rear wheel and try to move it up and down and side to side.
Your looking for any slack or wear in the bearings, swing arm, and linkage.
Also, check for "rocking" of the rear brake caliper mount.
Take a look under the bike.
Look for case repairs or a stripped or repaired drain bolt.
If you see any JB Weld just consider that part needing replaced.
If you get the chance to ride it, make sure it doesn't pop out of gear... Pay close attention to 3rd as they like to go out.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »
is there a way i can tell that the bike is in not so good condition?

if you see "Metal Mulisha" stickers/decals on it...there's a 99% probability it's been beaten to death, and will more than likely be in your best interest to walk away and find a better one to look at....and yes, I'm serious about this.

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 12:25:36 PM »
is there a way i can tell that the bike is in not so good condition?

if you see "Metal Mulisha" stickers/decals on it...there's a 99% probability it's been beaten to death, and will more than likely be in your best interest to walk away and find a better one to look at....and yes, I'm serious about this.
my bike has a metal mulisha sticker on it, that makes me a 1%
KX 500 newbie

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »

excessive vibration, is a classic sign of pure neglect and lack of maintenance....i.e...worn crank bearings...even the bearings in the frame neck and suspension/linkage will cause vibration if they're worn out.
You should have a pretty good idea the first few seconds you look at it if it's been well maintained and cared for or not.
Get some pics or video if possible. :-)
here is the ad with pics http://www.finn.no/finn/mc/used/object?finnkode=58749524&searchclickthrough=true
KX 500 newbie

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
24,000 KR = about 3,200 USD = 4075 AUD = 2857 Euro
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
looking like the VIN# is gonna prove to be an important factor.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 08:15:02 PM »
Here you can see al years in a rowhttp://www.motodacross.com/kawasaki/kx500.htm

Forks are 91-93 and black clutchcover is also older.

Hope it helps.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 05:55:16 AM »
since a lot of newer year parts will fit, im not to worried about year model, im more worried about there being any mailfunction in how the bike opperates
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 06:19:09 AM »
I'm not sure what the used bike market is like where you are...and I'm not trying to be a jerk in any way, but I don't know anyone in the U.S. that would spend that much on a 500 that old and used...

For what the guy's asking for it...I'd offer him a little under half that(or the equivalent to $1000 USD), and if he says no...then I'd move on to another one...but, that's just me....others may not even offer that much.

Offline alexander-vmann

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 06:57:04 AM »
I'm not sure what the used bike market is like where you are...and I'm not trying to be a jerk in any way, but I don't know anyone in the U.S. that would spend that much on a 500 that old and used...

For what the guy's asking for it...I'd offer him a little under half that(or the equivalent to $1000 USD), and if he says no...then I'd move on to another one...but, that's just me....others may not even offer that much.
the prices are a lot higher over here, my 2013 kx250f is worth about 33000 in our currency
KX 500 newbie

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 07:20:22 AM »
aaahhh....that takes a little bit of the "sting" out of it then if you're used to the prices being higher where you're at.
I'd still offer him a bit less than he's asking though...what've you got to lose? :-)