Author Topic: milky oil  (Read 3140 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
milky oil
« on: April 26, 2005, 02:09:17 AM »
Seems like every time I ride the beast, the tranny oil turns milky.  The antifreeze level never seems to go down, so it appears that it's not leaking out that way.  But even a short ride of less than an hour no where near water creates the problem.

Any ideas?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
milky oil
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 02:14:23 AM »
Power jet wash?

//John

NastyNick

milky oil
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 03:16:23 AM »
it doesn't take much coolant to turn your gear oil into a milkshake.  Probably the seal around the impeller.  Its pretty easy and resonably cheap to fix.

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
milky oil
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 03:20:47 AM »
Not even the jet washer.  I'm thinking that there's a teeny tiny leak around the impeller too.  But the coolant level is OK for over a year.  Goofy......
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

BrianSM

milky oil
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 05:13:52 PM »
Quote from: NastyNick
it doesn't take much coolant to turn your gear oil into a milkshake.  Probably the seal around the impeller.  Its pretty easy and resonably cheap to fix.

Plus 1

Offline 2002KX500

milky oil
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 02:49:27 PM »
Looks like this happened to me.  Anybody online this weekend to provide where to look?

I did ride in knee+ deep in water (actually walked the bike). Slipped and almost dropped it.  I crossed the stream and it started right up.  Is there any whay water could have gotten into the crank case that way?

I looked at the impeller, looks ok from the outside.  So, i need to check the impeller seal (which looks beyond my expertise) and I would assume the cylinder gaskets (head and crank case).  Should I be able to tell from those three areas what has gone wrong?

Thanks,

Kevin

mikesmith

milky oil
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 10:25:52 PM »
Ive crossed in water up to my seat and it didnt suck any in the crankcase,but thats what could have happened there (especially if it fell to the side).Flush out your trans with oil a few times untill it returns to normall color,check your coolant level,then after each ride check to see if the waters back.If so (and your not submerging the bike) its seal time.

Offline 2002KX500

milky oil
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 01:53:35 AM »
Mike,

Yup.  Coolant was down.  So could it either be the cylinder gaskets, or could it have failed some place else?  I am trying to think how the coolant can get down there any other way. (I have never replaced anything further below a cylinder).
Thanks,

Kevin

mikesmith

milky oil
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2005, 10:08:28 PM »
On the KX500 its almost always the water pump seal,if you have a lot of time on the bike do the water pump bearings also.

gumby_55

milky oil
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 08:15:26 PM »
Quote from: BrianSM
Quote from: NastyNick

Plus 1

Yep, I had the same problem. It was REALLY easy to fix. It was only like 15 bucks for everything to do the job too.

Offline 2002KX500

milky oil
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 04:23:44 AM »
$15 bucks... good deal.
The crankcase gasket alone cost me ~$16.  Actually, twice that, since the one I ordered still hasn't came in and I found one last night in the area.  So, now I will have a spare..
Finished the job last night..and I hope I got everything together correctly...and what I fixed was the cause for the milky oil...
Kevin

gumby_55

milky oil
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 05:25:31 PM »
Yeah 15 dollars was a pretty sweet deal. I got the clutch cover gasket from rockymountainmc.com for 5 or 6 bucks, and the waterpump gasket was 4 from my local dealer. Then I got the seal off of ebay for 5, but I think it is normally around 10 or so.

mikesmith

milky oil
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2005, 10:08:30 PM »
It may take a few trans fluid changes to get rid of all the old milkey fluid,did mine.