Author Topic: Clear coating aluminum, what works and what doesn't?  (Read 4659 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Clear coating aluminum, what works and what doesn't?
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:32:37 AM »
I've been meaning to post this up...
A little comparison of clear coatings...

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=995
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
Re: Clear coating aluminum, what works and what doesn't?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »
That hub looks really nice!  Man I wish I lived closer to your place Sandblaster.  I'm already pretty anal about my bikes, but with your help I could take it to a whole new level.   :-D
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:22:41 AM »
I've been meaning to post this up...
A little comparison of clear coatings...

http://www.oem-cycle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=995

quote from your forum...
"I was told I would be shocked how well the Rust-oleum would do if it was baked"

I love Rust-Oleum  products...I started using them in the mid 80's, and I still keep several cans of various colors on hand.
In '98-'99 I had an '85 Chevy 1500, that wasn't anything special, and every 6 months or so I would buy a gallon of Rust-Oleum royal blue paint, and soft bristle brush....and slap on a new paint job. I'd lay it on so heavy that it spread out nice and smooth on it's own. Then one day at a local track, a buddy was sitting on his bike next to my truck...and I noticed him staring at it for a couple minutes....then he says..."dude, did you paint this with a brush?"....I replied, "yes I did, how'd ya know?"....he said "there's a bristle stuck in the paint, that's the only way I knew because it looks awesome."
By the time I junked that truck...the paint had to d**n near a 1/2" thick!...but man did it shine!  
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:46:03 AM »
That hub looks really nice!  Man I wish I lived closer to your place Sandblaster.  I'm already pretty anal about my bikes, but with your help I could take it to a whole new level.   :-D

Yep... OK is a bit of a drive from OR  :-)

quote from your forum...
"I was told I would be shocked how well the Rust-oleum would do if it was baked"

I've used their products for a lot of years as well...
Unfortunately in the first test it's gasoline resistance didn't work out to well...  :cry:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:49:11 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »
Unfortunately in the first test it's gasoline resistance didn't work out to well...  :cry:

eh...that's really not a surprise though...gas is pretty rough on just about any surfaces if exposed to it for any length of time...and that specific one you're using really isn't designed to be used on high heat, and probably isn't resistant to oils/fuels/harsh cleaners....that looks like a "general use" clear coat....which it might/should hold up really well in areas that won't see fuels and such.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »
I used that exhaust header VHT paint on my hybrid pipe.  It seems to be pretty durable so far.  I didn't bake it (used a heat gun instead), so I imagine a baked on version would be even tougher.  I'm not sure if it's had gas on it, but I know it's endured just about everything else.

17 KX250F/04 KX250
05 KX 125/144

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 12:28:04 PM »
Yeah, soaking the parts in gas for a hour is certainly beyond what the manufactures had in mind but why not push the limits  :-D

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 01:39:38 PM »
That's a great point. Might as well find out who the toughness champ is now, before you install the painted parts on your bike.

17 KX250F/04 KX250
05 KX 125/144

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:56:01 PM »
I have some high end ($$$) PPG clear that I am pretty sure would deflect a bullet by the way it sands and polishes. Not sure I would want to use it on parts though. Looking forward to the next round of tests!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 02:33:44 AM »
I have some high end ($$$) PPG clear that I am pretty sure would deflect a bullet by the way it sands and polishes. Not sure I would want to use it on parts though. Looking forward to the next round of tests!

a buddy of mine did his kx250 motor with ppg clear in '93.
it held up awesome for about two years....but after several mud races and hare scrambles, and the motor being caked with mud and dirt at pretty hot temps...it eventually started getting a brown look to it.
but it did look awesome when he 1st did it.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 03:11:51 AM »
That is what I am concerned with.
I don't want it to yellow or brown.
Perhaps we need to do a clear two part epoxy paint, powder coat, or anodize...
But... I have more tests to conduct so one thing at a time  :wink:

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 06:06:30 AM »
I should add that the PPG was just like Brute said...bullet proof!...it never cracked or flaked.