Author Topic: Clutch/cable/problems??  (Read 3633 times)

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
Clutch/cable/problems??
« on: April 18, 2005, 01:03:58 PM »
Hey guys, I'm having problems with my clutch cable/slipping.  the actuating arm for my clutch cable is lengthend bit to make for easier pull.  I shaved about an 1/2" off the perch to give me more play in my cable.  Its a stock cable for my '99 kx500.  It only acts up about an hour and a half into the ride or even longer, sometimes not even a problem.  So i decided to take my cable off and add a bit to the cable to give me some play, b/c i was thinking it was b/c of the cable being too short for my lenthend arm.  i took it to the shop, and the guy at the shop, who used to race factory 500's back in the day, said that it could be more of a problem inside with some bearings and sorts.  He mentioned to check to see if the actuating arm is around 2oclock rather than 12 oclock.  mine is around 2 oclock and he said that that could be a signal for some sort of problem.  Is anyone elses arm positioned around 2 oclock and have the same problem? or what should i look at?
I know my clutch plates and all should be well, as it only starts to act up about an hour and a half into the ride, so i'm stumped. If it was my clutch going, woudn't it act up alot sooner than over an hour?

I probably didnt do a good job explaining this :oops: , so if your confused on something and think you can help, i'll try to explain it different!! thanks - Seth
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline Arigato

Clutch/cable/problems??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 02:05:45 PM »
My arm is around 12:30.  It sounds like something may have moved in there. Has the bottom end ever been re-built?

Offline ebers17

Clutch/cable/problems??
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 04:04:31 AM »
Arigato, i'm not sure if the previous owner rebuilt the bottom end or not. I've had the bike since last september, and i've ridden it quite a bit.  Should i look into that? Seth
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline Arigato

Clutch/cable/problems??
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 07:12:55 AM »
Quote from: ebers17
Arigato, i'm not sure if the previous owner rebuilt the bottom end or not. I've had the bike since last september, and i've ridden it quite a bit.  Should i look into that? Seth

Definately.  Even the mighty K5 needs a little lovin' once in a while.

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Clutch/cable/problems??
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 08:10:32 AM »
Still, less and cheaper than the Wife Maintanace detail though...

mikesmith

Clutch/cable/problems??
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 09:33:20 PM »
So does the play come back,or do you just keep loosing adjustment each time?

Offline ebers17

Clutch/cable/problems??
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 07:22:55 AM »
Mikesmith, i lose adjustment everytime.  Although theres some rides i dont loose any.  I just picked up my cable today with about a half inch added to it, so i'm just go ride around the trails lightly tomorow and see how it feels.  I feel i might be fixing the short term problem, but not the cause.
Arigato, just wondering what re-build would have in relation to the clutch though?
thanks for all your help guys
-Seth

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Clutch/cable/problems??
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 08:13:10 AM »
Seth,

I?m not sure I fully understand what the problem is but there are two things you can check out quite easily. You do not have to split or remove the engine from the frame to check this out.

The clutch arm;
You can lift up the clutch arm from the engine by twisting it 90 degrees and lifting it straight up. There is an oil-seal and two needle bearings in the engine. Maybe the arm in it self is worn out? I had to replace the top bearing and arm due to wear. This was caused by petrol leaking from the tank. The bearing didn't have any lubrication and this worn out both the arm and the bearing.

The clutch;
It's not a big deal and you would only need to replace one gasket. Your clutch arm on the outside of the engine engages a rod which goes all the way to the other side of the engine. This rod (when engaged) separates your clutch plates. There could be some worn out parts here as well. Those would be easy to spot.

//John

Offline Arigato

Clutch/cable/problems??
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 08:40:00 AM »
What he said.  ;>)

mikesmith

Clutch/cable/problems??
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 07:35:50 AM »
So did you come up with any thing?

Offline ebers17

Clutch/cable/problems??
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 12:44:06 PM »
I had aluminum clutch plates in that were past their prime. I had an extra set of steel ones so i simply just switched out the aluminum ones with the steel. I know your supposed to change the friction plates too but they looked pretty decent. The aluminum ones were really thin, compared to the steel ones, so i'm thinking thats why my clutch arm sat around 2oclock. I havent put it all back together but i'm sure i'll be ok.  thanks guys