Author Topic: Head Gasket Selection  (Read 2635 times)

Offline 1FAST450R

Head Gasket Selection
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:25:20 AM »
I'm doing my first top end job on my 2000 K5. I'm looking at the OEM head gaskets and they are giving me three to choose from. I'm wondering what the difference is between them and which one I should go with.
the first one says (steel T=0.4) $28.87
second  (steel T=0.2) $28.87
Third says (T=1.0) $55.41
Can someone help me out with this?
Thanks in advance!
Troy

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Head Gasket Selection
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »
the 1st one you listed is the stock one...

the 2nd one you listed is the optional thin gasket, which will bump up compression a touch, and you very well may need to run a little mix of race gas with pump gas to prevent pinging.

and the 3rd one you listed is the optional thick gasket, which will lower compression a touch, but should give you a bit of boost on the top end of the revs.

**EDIT**
I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of old threads on here about them...try doing a "head gasket option" search.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:32:32 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline 1FAST450R

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:57:14 AM »
Thanks Foxx!!!!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:58:03 AM »
you're welcome. :-)
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
Since that gasket is changing your squish distance and velocity you can always have the head machined to properly achieve the squish but lower or raise the compression as required.