Author Topic: SOB Tyre Removal  (Read 4581 times)

Offline ecdeyzel

SOB Tyre Removal
« on: March 23, 2015, 07:57:49 PM »
Hey all KXers.

So I have revived my rear wheel and wanted to remove the tyre to clean the inside and also heard bead like things rolling around in the tyre. I got all the air out and loosened the rim lock, but the tyre is SO ON THERE I can barely get tyre levers in. Once I get a tyre leaver in there it feels like there is now way I can push it over the rim to get the bead off the rim. It almost seemed glued on.

Its off a 99 KX250. Michelin Cross Competition 120/80-19.

I've thought of taking it to the shop to get removed, but since I am not putting a new tyre on and only want to clean and inspect, I wanted to try do it myself and keep costs down.

Any ideas?

2007 Suzuki DR650SE
1999 Kawasaki KX250 (Rebuild in Progress)

Offline alward25

Re: SOB Tyre Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:09:12 AM »
Make sure that both beads are broken loose from the rim and use a lot or soapy water.
"Let there be light"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 01:31:44 AM »
Make sure that both beads are broken loose from the rim and use a lot or soapy water.

+1...leaving it out in the sun for an hour to get it warm will help too.

I've thought of taking it to the shop to get removed, but since I am not putting a new tyre on and only want to clean and inspect, I wanted to try do it myself and keep costs down.

this is where it pays to get in good with the guys at your local Kawie dealer/shop.
I live right next door to my Kawie dealer, and grew up with the parts manager....so I just run over there whenever I need and use their tire machine....done within minutes. 
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:59:05 AM »
you need to make sure that the tire is in the center part of the wheel on the side your trying to take off. if it is not you will never get the tire off. so recap.

1. rim lock loose and able to push it in
2. beads broken on both sides
3. plenty of tire soap to help the tire slide easy
4. push the tire to the center and use tire irons to remove tire, should come off pretty easy
5. once one side is off repeat the process for the other bead

and as Foxx said set it out in the sun, always makes the rubber more pliable.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:22:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! I will give it another shot. I've never removed a tyre so stubborn so not sure if there is something wrong or not, but I will give it another shot and let you know if I succeeded.

2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 05:57:34 PM »
Hey guys. No luck :x Even the front isn't coming off. I think these tyres might be as old as the mountains and the rubber must have gone SUPER hard. I'll take it to the shop on the weekend and hear what they say.

Thanks for the help anyway. I am sure it will be a bit easier once I get some new tyres on there.

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:11:18 PM »
sometimes it's easier to let someone else do it.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 08:49:32 PM »
sometimes it's easier to let someone else do it.

Definitely Fox. I am tired of struggling with those tyres. Will get the shop to do it. I keen to move on with other parts of the bike, still a lot to be done.

I have made some good progress. I will post some photos on the rebuild thread later today.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE