Author Topic: CT Scan Dye  (Read 10129 times)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
CT Scan Dye
« on: March 19, 2015, 03:09:11 PM »
This is a little out of character for me and the site....but if it can save someone's  life, it'll make me feel a whole lot better.

Anyone getting a CT scan, please be sure to be tested if you are allergic to the dye they use.
My dad went into our local hospital yesterday (3-18-15) to have CT done to check his lungs for a breathing issue. The scan went fine, nothing bad was found....but while he was waiting for the doctor to tell him he could leave, he started coughing, violently...then fell on the floor.
Luckily this happened at the hospital, so within seconds he was being treated with CPR and the electric shocking. Unfortunately it took them almost 15 minutes to get a pulse back...which was not good...but managed to get him in the Critical Care Unit, and semi stable.
They had him hooked up to all kinds of machines, and assisted breathing last night and all of today. His eyes would open periodically for a second here and there...but he was so heavily sedated, we don't know if he actually knew what was going on, or if he even knew my mom, my sister and her husband, and I were there by his side.
Then at 6:15 tonight, he went into arrest again...the doctors tried to stabilize him for a couple minutes, until the doctor came out and told my mom he could not guarantee he would ever be the same, and that they already knew there was substantial heart damage from the 1st heart attack last night, and that this 2nd one would've more than likely caused brain damage as well.
Both my mom and dad promised each other that they would not allow either one to have to be dependent on people to live...so my mom had to make that decision to let him go on the spot...which my sister and I supported 100%.
My dad was one the healthiest people in the world, he went in for a CT scan that could've potentially saved his life...and it ended up killing him.
The doctors do believe this was all caused by an allergic reaction to the dye.

Again, if you or someone you know are getting a CT scan done, be sure to be tested for allergies.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline alward25

Re: CT Scan Dye
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:47:15 PM »
Foxx,

I am so sorry for your loss.  I know a lot of folks in that field and they are suppose to screen for that.  I hope that the final preparations go smoothly and that you and your family find comfort and peace any way that you see fit.  Whether you believe in it or not, thoughts and prayers for you guys.

Thanks for the heads up too.

Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:02:53 PM »
Foxx... You have my deepest and most sincere condolences.
I can't even imagine what you are going through.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline LukeG

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:34:14 PM »
Foxx, that is terrible news. My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Just know we are here for you.
1990 KX250 - Wanna be road racer!
2007 DRZ 462 Motard

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:53:17 PM »
I am very sad and sorry for your loss. I have had the dye before and never thought about that possibility. Thanks for putting it out there.
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline LukeG

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »
This also made me stop and think, they performed a few CT scans on me last year after my crash, I don't know if they used die or not.
1990 KX250 - Wanna be road racer!
2007 DRZ 462 Motard

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
So sad!

I've had the CT scan and hit the dye allergy instantly also but only got into some serious vomiting for 20-30 minutes, never considered that it could have done more!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 10:33:58 AM »
I could never come up with the correct words to say how much I appreciate all of you guy's thoughts. With the mentally and emotional past 48 hours, all I can come up with right now is Thank You!!...you have no idea how much it means to me.
My mom got a phone call from my dads primary care doctor early this morning, who has been his doctor for about 25 years. He was crying so much that my mom had to comfort him.
His doctor also confirmed "allergic reaction" to be the cause, because of my dads color...he was very red and blotchy and extremely swollen.

I know a lot of folks in that field and they are suppose to screen for that.

I couldn't agree with you more Alex.
I'm by NO means a doctor, and I avoid doctors/hospitals for as long as I possibly can.
One of the very 1st questions I asked my mom was..."didn't they test him for allergies?"
And apparently because my dad had several CT's over the past 8 years or so for shoulder and knee issues, with both the two different dyes/contrasts they use, and never had an issue with either one, they didn't see it as being necessary. My dads primary care did confirm that also, because he had the medical imaging doctor fax him all my dads files for the CT's he's had.

I've had 4 CT's in my life, and only on the last two I had in 2011 I was administered a "test injection", then wait 20 minutes, and once I passed that test, they gave me the full injection...then that uncomfortable warm/hot feeling comes rushing in.
I do know that allergies can happen at any time, even if you've already had a certain something in the past without any issues. It took 4 times for me to become allergic to Demerol injections. Before I had my dislocating shoulder fixed, the hospital injected Demerol into my upper arm 4 times in a year...then that 4th time, my entire arm swelled up like Popeye's, to the point I could barely move my fingers.
Do I believe my dads death was preventable?...absolutely!...it should've never happened if he was administered a test injection moments before the actual CT .
Unfortunately there's nothing that will bring him back now...and my sister and I haven't asked our mom if she was planning to contact her lawyer to make him aware of what happened. Money can never replace his life.

Again, thank you guys for all your kind words and thoughts!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:27:17 PM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 11:15:27 AM »
Foxx,

I lack any wise words that can afford you and your family true comfort other than I am truly sorry for your loss.

I lost my main riding buddy a little over a year ago, and still think of him every day...one of the things he taught me was to never assume against an allergic reaction. He used to go to an Allergist to receive shots and would have to wait afterwards to confirm no reaction. After 20 or so visits, he felt there was no need as he was receiving the exact same shots and decided to head back to work, but within minutes he said his throat started closing up & he could barely breath & thought he was not going to make it. Lucky for him, he was able to get back in enough time.

Hopefully you posting here will bring awareness & possibly save their or a loved ones life.

Again, so very sorry for your loss.

DoldGuy / Doug
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:37:57 AM »
Foxx,

I lack any wise words that can afford you and your family true comfort other than I am truly sorry for your loss.

I lost my main riding buddy a little over a year ago, and still think of him every day...one of the things he taught me was to never assume against an allergic reaction. He used to go to an Allergist to receive shots and would have to wait afterwards to confirm no reaction. After 20 or so visits, he felt there was no need as he was receiving the exact same shots and decided to head back to work, but within minutes he said his throat started closing up & he could barely breath & thought he was not going to make it. Lucky for him, he was able to get back in enough time.

Hopefully you posting here will bring awareness & possibly save their or a loved ones life.

Again, so very sorry for your loss.

DoldGuy / Doug

From the bottom of my heart DoldGuy....Thank You.

I've actually had a chance to sit for the 1st time tonight and relax somewhat, and do a little searching about "contrasts/dyes" and their side effects. Some of it is REALLY disturbing...and I did find one where there was another death at a St. Lukes Hospital...I'm not sure where that is, there may even be more than one St Lukes in America...but it was almost the same scenario...a person went in to have a CT done for their lungs, and the person passed away shortly after the CT while still in the hospital.

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »
Sorry for your loss Man & thank you for the warning. Your trying to help others in a time of loss is a testament to your parentage.
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 04:04:12 AM »
Sorry for your loss Man & thank you for the warning. Your trying to help others in a time of loss is a testament to your parentage.

Thank you 81!...that really means a lot.

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 10:43:13 AM »
So so sorry for your loss brother prayers to you and yours.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 11:49:43 AM »
So so sorry for your loss brother prayers to you and yours.

Thank you Shlepy!

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 01:53:23 PM »
Hey family is family you hurt we hurt atleast that's how it should be and the way the Fonteyn family feels.