Author Topic: What spark plugs do you use?  (Read 4113 times)

reknelb

What spark plugs do you use?
« on: April 14, 2005, 10:39:47 AM »
Like a dummy, I went to the auto parts store and didnt write down which plugs I needed. I asked the guy if he had a cross reference book for motorcycles. He's says yes and looks up my bike ('90 kx5), sells me 3 br9es plugs. Never even looked to see if they were the right plugs. That was over a month ago. I only noticed today when I was making some jet changes to try out (for when my new intake boot arrives). The plug I had in was a b8eg. Totally different. Non resistor, different heat range, smaller electrode. :roll: You guys ever mess around with plugs or do you all use the recommended stocker?

reknelb

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 11:01:20 AM »
Anyone know if the stock plug cap has a resistor in it? The 9 is a little colder heat range, and the g is for racing as opposed to the s for standard electrode.

Offline 2002KX500

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 11:42:42 AM »
BR8EIX here(2002 KX). Never had any problems with the NGK line.
Looks like you can use the same or a B8EGV or B8EG. You can go to NGK's website to confirm your application.

Good luck.
Kevin

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 02:51:53 AM »
I run a cheap BPR8ES.  The P is a protruded nose.  Read about using the P type since they run cleaner. Been my exclusive plug for the last 10 years. Have had very good luck - they last a whole season.  I get then at the autoparts store.  Haven't tried the BR8EIX, there are many who swear by them. Cam.

reknelb

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 03:08:27 AM »
I used to use the projected nose in my cr250. The projected nose should actually bump the compression up a tiny bit , no? Takes up more space in the combustion chamber :?  I have a bunch of b8es plugs I can run. I'll try the br9es plugs if it ever gets over 80 degrees here this summer.

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 11:33:46 AM »
I use regular good ol' br8es or b8es, whatevers in my tool pouch at the time.  I've never had that many problems. Seth
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 03:29:55 PM »
8EIX in mine. Used to run them the two hundred. Trouble free and just a tad crisper.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 03:29:15 AM »
I run BR8ES in my 87 500. Which is the standard plug for my year. I picked up some plugs at the auto part store that cross ref. to a Denso plug w24esr-u. Ran one for about 5 hours this sat. ran great. Cost $1.78 each.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Rick

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 08:07:50 AM »
BR8EVX used to be my plug of choice.  Unfortunately, NGK stopped making this plug, so I bought all of them I could find.  I install a new plug for every race, as entries fees are way to high to end up performing poorly because of a fouled plug.  Now that I am at the end of my supply, I will be switching to the BR8EIX.

As a note, I give my used plugs away to folks who foul their plugs while trail riding.

Rick

Jes_KX5

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 03:32:57 PM »
I use a NGK BR8ES. Costs under $2 and I have used the same one for two seasons of riding with no replacement.