Author Topic: '99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)  (Read 79688 times)

Offline ecdeyzel

Re: '99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2016, 06:27:20 PM »
rebuilding this same bike, very nice build! the vapor blasting on the engine looks sweet!

Thanks Subliminaltrips. Do you also have a post you are updating with your progress? I would like to check it out. Also a '99? I didn't vapor blast the engine, I would have loved to do it though. The top-end had a layer of high-temp silver paint on that I touched up. Next time I take the engine appart, I will get it soda blasted for sure. I have too many other things on my plate at the moment so just went with that route and I am happy with the outcome for now.

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE
1999 Kawasaki KX250 (Rebuild in Progress)

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2016, 10:25:09 PM »
Hi everyone. I had some time over the weekend to get working on the front wheel. I got a hold of a 8.5mm drill bit and carefully drilled the new rim holes to size. The nipples fit perfectly. Next step I took the plunge and cut the old spokes off the hub. Then spent some time tim cleaning the hub. After I was happy with the results I started rebuilding the wheel, applying generous amount of anti-seize grease to the spoke threads and finished it off by installing the bearings into the hub. Should have done the bearings prior to building but wasn't the end of the world. Now I will get a guy to true the wheel for me and then I am home free on the front wheel. Oh yea, also got me a Mitas C-19 for the front (forgot to take a pic of that).

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:25:55 AM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2016, 11:33:33 PM »
looks like a new wheel with shiny new spokes!...good job.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2016, 11:49:27 PM »
looks like a new wheel with shiny new spokes!...good job.

Thanks Foxx! Yea the Excel spokes I got brand new. The rim is second hand in fairly good condition and old hub. Pleased with the outcome. I did a small clean test on the outside of my pipe last night and now I am itching to get to that.

For the inside I am going to try empty a can of oven cleaner and then run a frayed clutch cable afterwards. Seems like most reasonable method as I don't have any other tools and don't really want to try the torch method for all the smoke it makes (close neighbours and kid in house) and think a bonfire is last resort LOL. Have you ever cleaned out the inside of any of your pipes yourself?

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2016, 12:16:21 AM »
there's a few pipe cleaning threads on here....I remember one where a member attached his pipe to his tractor wheel somehow, whist it was filled with rocks or nuts and bolts, and then had the tractor's rear wheel lifted off the ground, put it in gear, and let it spin for a little while.

I myself don't get into cleaning the inside of pipes...usually by that time, the outside is looking a bit faded, or has a few dings/dents...so I'll just buy a new one. :mrgreen:
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2016, 12:25:02 AM »
there's a few pipe cleaning threads on here....I remember one where a member attached his pipe to his tractor wheel somehow, whist it was filled with rocks or nuts and bolts, and then had the tractor's rear wheel lifted off the ground, put it in gear, and let it spin for a little while.

I myself don't get into cleaning the inside of pipes...usually by that time, the outside is looking a bit faded, or has a few dings/dents...so I'll just buy a new one. :mrgreen:

That is hilarious. :-D I did read something like that somewhere. I will report on the outcome of my chosen method.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2016, 12:39:53 AM »
here it is...

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,13481.msg108753.html#msg108753

That...is hilarious. I think I am still too young and inexperienced to try something like that. :-D
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2016, 05:41:27 PM »
Hey guys! So I finally got around to tackling the linkage unitrak arm. Looks like there is a rather large amount of wear where the rear shock bolts up. Seems to be from a previously worn bearing. I know the seals wont seal perfect, but is this something major to worry about? Will I just end up replacing the bearing every 6 months or so?

Ed
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:27:30 AM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2016, 11:40:13 PM »
your pics aren't showing Ed.

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2016, 11:51:01 PM »
your pics aren't showing Ed.

Not sure what happened there, are they working now? I modified the post.

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
yup, they're showing now.

you'll have to wait and see once it's together...and check to see if it binds up at all. It shouldn't, but check for resistance once you get it all back together.
Upper and lower shock bearings never last that long anyways....they're so small, and take an extreme amount of punishment.
The best thing(s) you can do are...remove the shock/linkage every once and awhile and re-grease it...keep pressure washing to a minimal around the linkage and anywhere where there's a bearing...and try not to use soaps and degreasers when you wash it...because they will find their way in there, and break down the grease.

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2016, 12:50:28 AM »
yup, they're showing now.

you'll have to wait and see once it's together...and check to see if it binds up at all. It shouldn't, but check for resistance once you get it all back together.
Upper and lower shock bearings never last that long anyways....they're so small, and take an extreme amount of punishment.
The best thing(s) you can do are...remove the shock/linkage every once and awhile and re-grease it...keep pressure washing to a minimal around the linkage and anywhere where there's a bearing...and try not to use soaps and degreasers when you wash it...because they will find their way in there, and break down the grease.

Thanks for the advice Foxx. I will check it out once I have it together.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline SOHC

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2016, 07:15:06 AM »
good job on the wheel, that looks realy nice,

I found the best way to cleen a pipe is with a big LPG burner, the type they use for weed burning.

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2016, 06:12:31 PM »
good job on the wheel, that looks realy nice,

I found the best way to cleen a pipe is with a big LPG burner, the type they use for weed burning.

Thanks SOHC, yea I am still waiting to get it trued. Can't wait to get that done because then I can finish up the front wheel completely. Thanks for the advice, but decided to leave the inside of the pipe, doesn't seem too bad and don't have any burners at my disposal. All my other plans failed, so just gave it a good pressure wash to get most dirt out from standing. About half way with cleaning the outside. Will post some before and after photos when I'm done.

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE