Author Topic: '99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)  (Read 79691 times)

Offline ecdeyzel

'99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)
« on: March 16, 2015, 12:15:53 AM »
Hi fellow KXers.

I am continuing my introduction thread ( http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,14146.0.html ) here where I will map out my progress in cheering up my very sad and abused KX250 I recently bought.

So I've had some time to start working on my bike. My first priority was to get the carb out to see what condition it's in and try my best to get it as close to a new carb as I could.

Here is the carb one the bike before I took it off.

Two things I noticed was the jet needle was bent. This can't be right...right?

The second issue was that the pilot air screw did not have the o ring at the end. I will need to see if I can get one from my local Kawi dealer.

Here are some more pics...

Here is a before and after of the float bowl. Yuck.

And here is the carb put back together. I am waiting for the gasket for float bowl and the clamp for airbox to carb that I have ordered from Kawi. I got some rubber tubing for the air valves and overflows. Do you guys think it will last? It's very flexible, but it seems like it could work. It's tubing used for fish tanks. Keep in mind I am going budget, but if it really is wrong to use I will try and get the real thing. I just thought they are for overflow and air, if it was for fuel line from tank, it's a different story and will get the real deal.

Let me know what you guys think.

Ed
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 11:57:35 PM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE
1999 Kawasaki KX250 (Rebuild in Progress)

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: '99 KX250 Rehab (Budget Rebuild)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:01:15 AM »
looks much better!
you can throw that needle right in the trash....don't mess around with bent ones...a new OEM needle will run you either side of $25 U.S dollars.
as for the vent hoses, do you have any extra pieces that you could soak in some gas as an experiment, to see if it will be ok?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 01:04:52 AM »
Hey Fox! I will add a needle to the order list for the Kawi dealer.

Yea, I have some tubing left. Good idea, I will leave a piece soaked in some petrol for a day or two to see how it goes, thanks!

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 01:38:24 AM »
For the vent tubes you can find some small fuel line at your local hardware store for lawn mowers that works and it is dirt cheap. I got some at home depot it was like $4-$5 for 25 feet of it.
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 01:42:04 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the tip Ims. I will go ask around at some of the hardware stores around here.

Ed
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:57:45 AM »

just write down the numbers from that bent needle, to be sure you get the same one...providing it's still available through Kawie.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 02:26:25 AM »
For the vent tubes you can find some small fuel line at your local hardware store for lawn mowers that works and it is dirt cheap. I got some at home depot it was like $4-$5 for 25 feet of it.

Hey Ims, I just ran across the road from my work, there is an auto shop and they had tubing. Bought 5 meters for 15 rand. So cheap and much better that the rubber tubing I got.

Thanks for the hint.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Ims Roll

• Ride safe, Ride hard
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 04:04:48 AM »

Hey Ims, I just ran across the road from my work, there is an auto shop and they had tubing. Bought 5 meters for 15 rand. So cheap and much better that the rubber tubing I got.

Thanks for the hint.
Been budget racing as long as I can remember, now if only I could be as fast as I am cheap  :lol:
The 2-smoke runs deep in this one...

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »

just write down the numbers from that bent needle, to be sure you get the same one...providing it's still available through Kawie.

Hey Fox, the parts guy at Kawi asked me for the number, so will send it to him. Glad I am dealing with a guy that is on the ball over there. Thanks for the tip.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:45:13 PM »

Thanks for the hint.
Been budget racing as long as I can remember, now if only I could be as fast as I am cheap  :lol:

:-D HAHAHA! Classic! :-D
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »
Here is a pic of the chain that came off the bike over the weekend. It doesn't even have o/x-rings anymore. :-o Ashes to ashes, rust to rust.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 12:04:46 AM by ecdeyzel »
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 01:50:47 AM »
Hey Fox, the parts guy at Kawi asked me for the number, so will send it to him. Glad I am dealing with a guy that is on the ball over there. Thanks for the tip.

the stock OEM needle for the '99 U.S.A. bikes is N3YK...there is a chance it could be different on a non U.S. bike, I've seen it before....and there is a chance that bent needle you have, is not the original one. Have your Kawie guy look up what the stock needle was for your bike, and if it matches the bent one you have, then no worries. Otherwise, you'll want him to get you the closest to the stock one he can get.

Mine was way too rich, and I ended up going 4 needles leaner, to an N3WJ.

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 02:34:47 AM »

the stock OEM needle for the '99 U.S.A. bikes is N3YK...there is a chance it could be different on a non U.S. bike, I've seen it before....and there is a chance that bent needle you have, is not the original one. Have your Kawie guy look up what the stock needle was for your bike, and if it matches the bent one you have, then no worries. Otherwise, you'll want him to get you the closest to the stock one he can get.

Mine was way too rich, and I ended up going 4 needles leaner, to an N3WJ.

Yea, mine is N3YK.SO is that stock?

I wanted to ask about this, so I am glad you brought it up. Currently on the bike, I have a Pro Circuit Platinum header pipe with a DEP silencer. Do you think that needle will be fine for that set-up? Wanted to get the jetting right for the set-up so that I don't have the rich or lean issue. I am not too clued up with that aspect of the carb. I have heard some guys can hear when it needs to be turned. That sort of thing is out of my knowledge league at the moment.  :?
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 02:50:43 AM »
for now, I would go with the stock needle N3YK providing your Kawie guy can get it, to be on the "safe" side...then once you get it running and able to ride it, then you can concentrate on getting it jetted more precisely.

Offline ecdeyzel

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 02:53:42 AM »
Okey cool. I am waiting to hear back from him regarding the needle. Hopefully he can organise it. He needs to get the airbox hose clamp from Japan, so the needle could possibly come with the clamp.
2007 Suzuki DR650SE