Author Topic: Need pointers for installing seat cover  (Read 14272 times)

Offline dinkyguitar

Need pointers for installing seat cover
« on: March 10, 2015, 03:02:38 AM »
Hi All,

I've purchased a seat cover for my KX 250...the replica seat covers from Thailand.

So I'm looking for some pointers for installing it.

I questioned the seller since these seat covers don't have a any stitches about possibly getting creases in the seems and he said the material is made to stretch so it should be ok.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

dinky,

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Need pointers for installing seat cover
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 03:12:04 AM »
get it WARM before you start....even the seat pan/foam. Start at the front, getting a few staples around the "nose" area that goes up against the tank, then throw a couple staples at the back end pulling slightly to take out the slack, then work the sides starting at the mid-way point, then work it out to the front and back ends. Don't be surprised if you have to pull some staples out here and there to work out some wrinkles or creases...just take your time...and keep it warm, if it's warm, it's much more pliable...that's the key.

If you check out this thread, I took a few pics of my process, and it came out awesome,

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,13108.0.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:49:16 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dinkyguitar

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 03:25:22 AM »
Thanks...

Is the warmth more or less to keep the vinyl pliable?

Or so that when it cools it stretches preventing creases?

Also, since it's cold nowadays, I suppose I could use my 500watt spot light to heat things up....

dinky,

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 03:38:32 AM »
Thanks...

Is the warmth more or less to keep the vinyl pliable?

Or so that when it cools it stretches preventing creases?

Also, since it's cold nowadays, I suppose I could use my 500watt spot light to heat things up....

dinky,

yes keeping it warm is what will make it pliable and stretch more easily....just be careful you don't stretch it too much, or you can get creases/wrinkles in other areas...then you'll have to pull staples to smooth them out.

If you chose to use a spot light or heat gun...be extremely careful!....it's harder to get the heat more evenly spread that way...and run the risk of melting or burning your new cover :x
If you have a wood stove or just the home heater would be more ideal, as this will heat the whole thing more evenly. If you feel it's giving you a little bit of a hard time, then take a step back and let it warm up next to some heat again to get it pliable.

Just take your time and go slow...and you'll see how easy it comes together. :-D
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline dinkyguitar

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:42:13 AM »
Thanks again,

I'm planning on starting tonight....hopefully.

dinky,

Offline dinkyguitar

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 11:53:13 PM »
Well, I cleaned the pan, attached the foam, but I couldn't get the cover on.

The horn gave me a hard time and I couldn't get the wrinkles out.

It's got a steep angle, and it's narrow making it difficult.

I tried to get it warm using a heat gun, but that horn is tricky.

Lot's of cussing and disappointment last night.

I'm not looking forward to trying it again....don't want to ruin my cover which I waited for a month the get.

dinky,

Offline zz3gmc

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 12:13:43 AM »
If you were a bit closer I would be glad to do it for you or give you a hand. My wife, Tree Dodging Fool has started making covers. Here are a few that she made so far. 03-07 KX250 seats. Also did a 14 LTM350 seat, dont have a pic yet.

Offline dinkyguitar

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 12:18:30 AM »
If you were a bit closer I would be glad to do it for you or give you a hand. My wife, Tree Dodging Fool has started making covers. Here are a few that she made so far. 03-07 KX250 seats. Also did a 14 LTM350 seat, dont have a pic yet.

Thanks for the offer, I could use some help.

Here's an 87 seat in case anyone is wonder what it looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-PAN-COVER-1987-KAWASAKI-KX250-KX-250-500-87-88-89-86-/181610335075?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1987%7CModel%3AKX250&hash=item2a48d1cb63&vxp=mtr

And BTW, very nice seat covers  :-D

dinky,

Offline alward25

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 02:08:04 AM »
toss it in the dryer for about 25 min, square the front, put in a few staples, square the back, a few staples, stretch the middle where the seat transitions from the front to back where the curve of the pan is, staple, and then work the rest.  Done a bunch this way, Guts will install a seat cover for free if you buy a cover and send them your seat.  Sometimes it is nicer to have someone do it that does it everyday.
"Let there be light"

Offline dinkyguitar

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 02:23:47 AM »
toss it in the dryer for about 25 min, square the front, put in a few staples, square the back, a few staples, stretch the middle where the seat transitions from the front to back where the curve of the pan is, staple, and then work the rest.  Done a bunch this way, Guts will install a seat cover for free if you buy a cover and send them your seat.  Sometimes it is nicer to have someone do it that does it everyday.

Yep, I just thought about the dryer also.

I'm hoping the heat will get those wrinkles out of the horn area....I'll try tonight.

Should the seat be warm too? Or just the seat cover?

dinky,

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 02:35:35 AM »
Well, I cleaned the pan, attached the foam, but I couldn't get the cover on.

The horn gave me a hard time and I couldn't get the wrinkles out.

It's got a steep angle, and it's narrow making it difficult.

I tried to get it warm using a heat gun, but that horn is tricky.

Lot's of cussing and disappointment last night.

I'm not looking forward to trying it again....don't want to ruin my cover which I waited for a month the get.

dinky,

that sucks...I've never had one give me that much of a hard time before...I always found if they start becoming difficult, to just step back and warm the whole thing up again, and things would go much smoother again. Don't let it get the best of you...you'll feel much better if you defeat it!
I did this one a few years ago, and even learned how to dye on the "KX" logo myself...

Is it new foam?....there's a chance you may have to trim the foam a little if it's new....even if it's old foam, it can get deformed and bulged out, and may need to be trimmed a little too.

Even alward25 suggested the front to back to sides like I did in my 1st post. 

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 02:56:47 AM »
Should the seat be warm too? Or just the seat cover?

dinky,

when I say "warm the whole thing"...yes, I mean the seat pan/foam as well....the foam holds a lot of heat throughout the process...I stated that in the EVO thread I attached, and that's why you see my seat with the cover just started sitting on the dashboard of my truck...so the WHOLE thing gets warm.
I was able to complete the entire task in just over an hour...that included removing the old cover and staples and cleaning the pan.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:01:28 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 03:00:07 AM »
I actually worked in upholstery many years ago and all the suggestions are good.
Having warm material as suggested is imperative.
Starting from the front, absolutely.
Here is a vid on how to do the rest.
Just a note, in the beginning he says to use a 1/4" by 1/2" staple, that's 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep.
Also note the extra piece of foam for the butt stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVJeNOOjGc0
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline dinkyguitar

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 03:07:31 AM »
I actually worked in upholstery many years ago and all the suggestions are good.
Having warm material as suggested is imperative.
Starting from the front, absolutely.
Here is a vid on how to do the rest.
Just a note, in the beginning he says to use a 1/4" by 1/2" staple, that's 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep.
Also note the extra piece of foam for the butt stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVJeNOOjGc0

Yep, saw that video as well....I'll give it another shoot tonight using better heat.

I am using 1/4" long staples....also getting a better staple gun, pneumatic.

And Foxx4Beaver, that looks OEM, great job....it should be OEM.

dinky,
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 03:09:20 AM by dinkyguitar »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 03:19:12 AM »
And Foxx4Beaver, that looks OEM, great job....it should be OEM.

dinky,

thanks....the 1st attempt at dyeing wasn't pretty...I had that stuff ALL over the place. I didn't realize how thin/watery it applied, and it was a mess!
the foam in that seat needs to be replaced badly....it's like sitting on concrete....I've got my oem '01 seat on at the moment.