Author Topic: Cold Start  (Read 5779 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Cold Start
« on: April 14, 2005, 03:53:23 PM »
How does ya'lls 500's run when first cold started :?: Mine likes to rev a little high when she first starts. I pull the choke up and kick her one to two times push the choke down and next kick she starts but revs high. I then just pull the choke up half way for a sec. to get the rpm's back down or I just let out on the clutch and let her idle in first gear to warm up. After she's warm she will idle great with no reving even after hard runs. Is it normal for these things to several mins. to warm and clean all the cold start fuel out of the system :?:
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

mikesmith

Cold Start
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 07:51:50 AM »
Mine doesnt rev when cold.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Cold Start
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:43:36 AM »
I believe that means your pilot is lean or you have a air leak.

reknelb

Cold Start
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 10:19:29 AM »
I just bought my bike a few months ago. I was getting it ready for the big thaw, and noticed the bike didn't return to idle without surging a couple times first. This was with the bike in nuetral, and cold. It got slightly better as it warmed but it would still do it. I took my carb off to check jetting and take a look at my reeds. I thought my bike could be jetted lean and the cold spring weather making it surge/idle high. Turns out I had a 60 pilot, and a 175 main. Thats a bit rich compared to the jetting chart. My reeds were in good shape. Figured I had an intake leak (also noticed some fuel dripping from the mouth of the intake before I took it off) After a close inspection, I found a nice hole in the intake rubber. Didnt find it the first time i looked it over. :shock: I've got a new intake rubber ordered and it should be here mon., I've also got an assortment of main jets and pilots. I've got a 168main and a 58 pilot in the carb now. I'll let you know if the bike runs a little better with the new boot.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Cold Start
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 01:54:50 PM »
I will be needing a new intake boot myself. Mine is cracking on the out side but still looks good on the inside but that doesn't mean it alright. I will order new boot and play with the pilot. I would hope an air leak in the seals would make it rev. all the time and not just when cold.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

mikesmith

Cold Start
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 09:48:19 PM »
Well as far as an air leak just when cold,it could be as the bike warmed up (rubber manifold ect.) could expand enough to seal the leak.I used to be a Honda (car) tech and the old caburated cars had a rubber isolator block that would cause a vacuum leak when cold(stalling) then seal up when the engine warmed up (no stalling).

Offline alan

• Administrator
Cold Start
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 06:04:58 AM »
The cold start! First I have say that the place to start is with a reed spacer! The KX5 will run better, start better and will rarely eat plugs even riding 1 gear taller than you were riding before!

Ok, The way I have been cold starting my big bore 2 strokes for the last 35 years. I 1st turn fuel and lean the bike over till the gas runs out the overflow! Next put on the choke and with almost no throttle kick it over! Mine starts in 1 to 3 kicks,( remember it is a beast so boots are a must) and you need the kick starter at the very top and kick it with everything you have got! If you have it jetted correctly most 2 strokes will start this way 95% of the time!

Once it is hot I do not turn off the gas till I am ready to load it up at the end of the ridding day!
When it is hot mine will start within the 1st or 2nd kick with 1/8 throttle no choke! I also agree with one of the other posts that said to go up on the pilot jet rather than down.

A hard starting story!

When I first got my KX5 I also bought my wife a Kawie a 220 Bayou quad and she was just learning to ride. It was clear June day and it was already in the 90's in the El Paso desert. We always would park just off of a power road about a 1/4 mile down a fence line. This gave us 4 different quadrants to ride. I would always get her quad down while she got her gear on, then she would wonder around the desert while I was getting ready to ride! I got my gear on I took off and follow her tracks till I caught up with her. So when I caught up with her that day, after about ten minutes, I shut off my KX. We chatted for a while and then I tried to start my KX. I had put in a smaller pilot jet which I thought that it would improve the starting! By that time I an sure it was over a 100 degrees out! I kicked and kicked and I kicked it again and again! I thought my heart was going to explode. Finally it started and I was so tired by that time I just rode back to the truck and sat under our pop up tent an drank beer till my wife returned from her ride! After she returned and turned off her quad and took her helmet off she said, " Did you know you kicked your bike 97 times before it started" ? I said "Yea I really needed to know that"! I guess that was about the time that I discovered this web site and Paul and some of the other guys helped me get my KX set up correctly!

So If its cold where you live come on down next winter and we will show you some great riding down in the El Paso desert!

Alan :)
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Cold Start
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 09:51:58 AM »
Alan,

You are a lucky man to have all that nice sand to ride in!

//John

Offline alan

• Administrator
Cold Start
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 09:55:01 AM »
Yep! and I am addicted to it!
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Cold Start
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 02:26:33 AM »
I run a reed block spacer. I to lean my bike over till fuel leaks from the over flow hose. My bike runs a little rich at 1/8 throttle. I have already adjusted the needle so I am going to look at my pilot. And order new intake boot. Thanks Guys
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

mikesmith

Cold Start
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 09:26:24 PM »
I just slowly boot it over a few times,choke it,bring it up to TDC,1 or 2 good kicks,and she starts right up.

Offline Timbowe

Cold Start
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 09:37:55 PM »
Mine too. But I have a prob with the choke. Has to be held open like by hand while trying to hang on to the throttle. Awkward as. But starts great! Usally 1st time. Settles in to nice low idle after 15 seconds. Sweetas.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

TomL

Cold Start
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 12:30:18 AM »
Mine revs up real high when started cold with the choke.  It's just because the pilot jet is a little lean.  I like it lean though because I do alot of idling in tight stuff and don't want my spark plug to load up.  I use a b7es (1 step hotter than stock) plug, but it still runs wet and black if I do too much putting around.  Don't worry about the high rev at cold start.  Just hit the kill switch a bit to bring it down if necessary.  I just let mine scream for a second or two.  My KDX220 does the same thing due to lean pilot jet.  No big deal!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Cold Start
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 12:04:18 PM »
Update. I installed a 27.5 pilot jet which is as lean as I can go with my 87 500. I set my mixture screw at 1 1/2 turns and she starts fine when cold with no reving. She also returns to idle quicker when you bip the throttle.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

Cold Start
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2005, 02:42:30 AM »
For cold starting I always use the rocking method to prime the cylinder.  Simply put it in 1st with the choke on and rock the bike back and forth a few times.  Apparently is supercharges the cylinder with rich mixture.  People look at you a little odd but are mightily impressed when your big bore always starts 1st kick cold.  Cam.