Author Topic: KDX500 riders should do this!!!  (Read 2813 times)

TomL

KDX500 riders should do this!!!
« on: April 03, 2005, 03:19:51 PM »
After changing sprockets to 13/52 to get a nice low 1st gear for crawling around in the woods, I felt the power became too harsh and difficult to control.  So I put on a flywheel weight, made a grey pvc insert for in the exit of the carb which reduced the opening to 33mm, and made a cover for the airbox.  None of these things seemed to do much until I RETARDED THE TIMING!!!  Just what the doctor ordered!!!  It didn't even seem to reduce the power, but smoooooothed out the delivery.  It also seems much easier to kick.  It just made the bike more friendly.  If I want to get crazy, I just open the air vents on the sides of the airbox and get a nice top end boost.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 09:16:13 PM »
I love the POWER.... More the better as far as I,m concerned!  Just got mine back together with freshened top end. Crisp as. Need more power though. Dumped p/c pipe fitted up FMF gnarly with power core silencer. Gonna order V/Force and spacer. Fairly keen on shipping the barrel to Gorrs for porting and Bigger bore. Any recommendations on how big to go? Dont want it to be unreliable or too hard to kick over.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 05:20:09 PM »
Quote from: Timbowe
I love the POWER.... More the better as far as I,m concerned!  Just got mine back together with freshened top end. Crisp as. Need more power though. Dumped p/c pipe fitted up FMF gnarly with power core silencer. Gonna order V/Force and spacer. Fairly keen on shipping the barrel to Gorrs for porting and Bigger bore. Any recommendations on how big to go? Dont want it to be unreliable or too hard to kick over.

Timbowe, the 520cc from Eric is AWESOME! It is not any harder to start and has so much more power. He will also set the porting to how you like and all his prices include everything. Again, it did NOT change the starting. Except for the fact of fresh rings. The thing that killed my starting is that PVL ignition thingy, it is almost not worth the hard starting just to have all that top-end.

woodskx500

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 01:56:23 PM »
I race a 2002 kx500 in the tight woods of british columbia. I have my gearing at 14/52 with a pro circuit pipe, and it's sweet!!! I love it. It has enough bottom end that even in the tights trails, and I mean tight!!! 1 is low enough for me, and 2 is to, and I'm not terribly light ether, I weigh 220 without gear! try that it might just help.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 05:40:44 PM »
Hey there Gowen! Talked to Gorrs he has given me a price. I'm sold. Pack it up and ship it over ASAP. Hanging. I have no troubles starting the thing at the mo so small capacity increase should be no worries. She's a first time every timer. Will update. Cherz
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master