Author Topic: Rear shock rebound adjustment screw  (Read 1910 times)

Brett

Rear shock rebound adjustment screw
« on: April 13, 2005, 11:21:36 PM »
G'day, went to play with my rear shocky adjuster on bottom of shock and noticed it was tight and had a bit of corrosion and dirt.  I fully removed the screw (which didn't click) and blew out all crap from inside.  I noticed that the pushrod shaft running up the guts of the main shaft didn't move.  I sprayed in some crc and gave it a poke with a screwdriver and then the pushrod shaft came free and dropped down to bottom.  The dilema i now face is that the adjuster screw is tapered like a carby float needle and because the rod is passed the centerline i won't have a hope in hell of getting the adjuster back in.  The bike cannot be ridden as rear end is like a pogo stick.
My questions are:
Do I have to remove nitrogen pressure to push shaft back up to get screw in?
Is this screw meant to click like all the others?
If a non clicker how many turns can you go out from fully bottomed out to avoid this predicament happening again?

Thanking you all in advance.

Offline KXcam22

Rear shock rebound adjustment screw
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 02:50:43 AM »
Brett,
  G'day Eh from Canada. That's a tough one. By your description, the screw you are talking about is the rebound adjuster, located on the bottom shock clevis, the part that connects to the linkages.  This screw should definately "click" when you adjust it. Sometimes they get minor deposits in them (inside) and stiffen up after a number of years at the same setting.  I've had to exercise (turn back and forth) mine a few times over the years to get the click back. As to your problem, I am not 100% on this but I doubt that there will be too much pressure on the rod (or none at all).  I would suggest turning your shock (or your whole bike) upside down. With some fiddling you should be able to get the rod to move or fall back down enough so you can get the adjuster screw back in. With the rod all the way down will have NO rebound hence the pogo stick. Hope this helps. Cam.