Author Topic: APT Smartcarb  (Read 11006 times)

Offline jamex

APT Smartcarb
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:41:07 AM »
A carb that requires no jetting & when you have the mixture rod dialled in correctly, you don't ever have to worry about altitude variations or ambient changes!?!

Has anyone heard of these or had anything to do with them, sounds fantastic, too fantastic, but a very interesting website:

http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb.php

Used on UAVs, this has really got my attention, but the price, I want more info, I hope that someone has some experience with them....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:50:04 AM by jamex »
Man Was Made From Dirt & To Dirt He Shall Return.

Offline jBernard

Re: APT Smartcarb
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:59:29 AM »
just my .02$ from what ive seen...good idea thats hit or miss. known of a couple people put them on and end up going back to a keihin due to not being able to dial it in correctly.
others put it on and have no issues and work great in elevation change. they are $$$, especially the billet version. i think they may have rushed the product a bit to market.
'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline LukeG

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »
They are an evolution on the lectron carb from what I have read but they seem to be very hit and miss. Their release has been delayed numerous times due to problems and a lot of people gave trying to set them up and went back to their old carb out of frustration. I must admit I would be curious to try one.
1990 KX250 - Wanna be road racer!
2007 DRZ 462 Motard

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 12:40:17 PM »
Alward25 has been threatening to get one for months..../
I wish he would do it...  :-o
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline LukeG

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:02:07 PM »
On the cafe husky site there have been some good discussions about the smart carb and the lectron. I think APT pissed a lot of people off by not releasing the carbs when they promised. I know locally a Lectron will set me back $550 plus fine tuning.
1990 KX250 - Wanna be road racer!
2007 DRZ 462 Motard

Offline jamex

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 07:01:10 PM »
Blaster, I've mailed them requesting a 38mm billet carb, just waiting for their reply as I asked a few questions. The one testimonial was about a K5 & the one sponsored rider was in South Africa, he won his class in the 2012(quite a while back) enduro series on a Husky WR250.
The theory of operation makes sense but I think that they had some development problems, anyway I'm willing to give it a try.
I also just had my bike on a friends dyno just before I returned to work & it made 63hp at 4393ft 25degrees C, so it will be a good yard stick to performance differences.
If it works well then I may put the K5 carb on my girlfriends Banshee with a 2 into 1 intake manifold setup, that will eliminate a lot of balancing issues & make it easier to jet. 
Man Was Made From Dirt & To Dirt He Shall Return.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 02:33:42 AM »
Dyno numbers would be great along with a personal review on installation and set up  :-D
Looking forward to it.
But I suspect if your carb is jetted correctly that you won't see a lot of gain.
Since I am constantly wrong, we'll see  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:35:23 AM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 02:40:45 AM »
I was more fascinated by their two cycle engine. "0 Oil Consumption". Interesting.

http://www.powerapt.com/sonicflow-engine.php
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 03:12:43 AM »
Yeah, that is cool.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 03:30:55 AM »
"Zero oil consumption" and "Three times the power of a four cycle engine" are pretty lofty statements. Still stuck on the "Zero" though. 'Low' or 'Less' as claimed by some of the other new two strokes I understand but 'zero' is definite. Not to hijack the carb thread...

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 05:17:38 AM »
So Roost, your verdict over stock????????

Just a guess.... Pulse  :-D

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 05:19:49 AM »
Mine started perfect, when richened with different rods from how they arrived.
Same setup with a buddy 1000' higher was a disaster. Another guy near him has the same deal. 50+ kicks to get it lit and then it idles like crap.
When it gets running right, like how I had them tuned, the pipe shook like a cat crapping razor blades!
The billet had some "upgrades" that it shouldnt have left the shop with, like the tip valve ball material/coating, float valve changes etc.
The cast, meh, wasn't too weird but i knew it needed a richer rod against their recommendation that it was proper as shipped. so it got here and i started it but couldnt use it really until a rod showed up 5 weeks after I got it ordered.
The carbs, no matter the clicker range or richness still get into a 3/4 throttle position lean detonation on deceleration. single circuit metering for ya.
The carbs weren't finished well, like it took messing with to get the cable in the slide and little things that could really tick a guy off at that kinda pricing. The cast was a dirty casting looking piece.  
The billet had a really nice slide where the cast was machined with trailing marks which to a guy who makes chips for a living is kinda a tick off to see. These carbs are supposedly very closer tolerance etc, so why isnt the throttle valve lapped in, chromed, or just made right.

The SC guys i know have all gone back to standard PWK or pulse and all the sudden the bikes start, they run at any rpm and they don't fill the crankcase while sitting.

I think a pwk airstriker is much crisper low end, runs cleaner, and is substantially cheaper. The airstriker is a 38mm, flows the same as a 39/39.5/41 for cfm under 1/2 throttle, flows with less turbulence, more accurate metering and flows the same wfo, so its not really choking anything off, you can get to the jets without an allen wrench too.

Stick with stock, airstriker, or go Pulse.

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 07:05:55 AM »
Wow. Lot's a lot of info and not exactly a glowing report! 50+ kicks! Yikes!