Author Topic: k5 Auto Clutch, and 540 Eric Gore Motor... 2000 K5 good setup?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Charlie500

k5 Auto Clutch, and 540 Eric Gore Motor... 2000 K5 good setup?
« on: February 18, 2015, 05:37:29 PM »
Been toying around with the idea of buying another K5, Shlepy don't seem to want to sell me my old bike back so may have to go another route. Found this one rather close to me.

http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/mcy/4882086837.html

What do you guys think about this auto clutch? 540 Kit? Never thought about going bigger, and if I remember correctly, a lot of guys on here didn't like boring these beasts out for one reason or another...
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: k5 Auto Clutch, and 540 Eric Gore Motor... 2000 K5 good setup?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:39:15 PM »
What do you guys think about this auto clutch? 540 Kit? Never thought about going bigger, and if I remember correctly, a lot of guys on here didn't like boring these beasts out for one reason or another...

I can't comment on the auto clutch, but I'm absolutely in love with my Pinnsonault 525 Big Bore kit!...the increase in low-end torque and mid-range punch is just awesome!...I couldn't imagine how fun a 540 would be. I live in the north east, so I have very little places to run it wide open for more than a couple seconds, but it does run much stronger on top too, even though it's setup more for mid-range.
I think the guys that say they don't like the big bore kits, never went the extra mile and had the crank balanced/trued....this is essential when going bigger, otherwise they vibrate themselves to death.
Good looking bike!
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:33:49 PM »

I can't comment on the auto clutch, but I'm absolutely in love with my Pinnsonault 525 Big Bore kit!...the increase in low-end torque and mid-range punch is just awesome!...I couldn't imagine how fun a 540 would be. I live in the north east, so I have very little places to run it wide open for more than a couple seconds, but it does run much stronger on top too, even though it's setup more for mid-range.
I think the guys that say they don't like the big bore kits, never went the extra mile and had the crank balanced/trued....this is essential when going bigger, otherwise they vibrate themselves to death.
Good looking bike!

Yeah, it doesn't say anything about the crank being balanced/trued...
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 03:06:28 AM »

Good point.
I'll add this bit:
I'll never build another KX500 stock or otherwise without balancing the crank.
Thanks Todd.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.