Author Topic: My 96 KX 250  (Read 11379 times)

mxrider503

My 96 KX 250
« on: April 12, 2005, 06:37:07 PM »
I recently purchased my Kx250 from a guy down the street. He said he did a lot of the work and the bike has no problems aside from rear shock needing a rebuild. Anyways the bike leaked gas like crazy so I readjusted the float and its dry as a bone. I do have a few questions that you guys would have no problem answering. 1.) My bike appears to run very rich with white smoke. I mixed the gas 40:1, is this correct? If so please be specific on carb settings and tweaks 2.) I am what people refer to as a full featured man (280 lbs) The shock on my bike is clearly screaming in agony should i send the shock out and have it rebuilt  and revalved as apposed to just purchasing a new one? I took it out and inspected it and rebound seems to be lazy. My third question is what plastics will fit my 96. For instance could I take a 2004 plastic and decal kit and mount it to my bike with minimum modification? I have been searching the internet for answers to all of these questions and I can't seem to find the answers. I thank you in advance for your reply.
-brian

mikesmith

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 10:13:01 PM »
1.)Check the jetting by looking at the plug not the exahust smoke,40:1 is good(I like Maxima Super-M or Bel Ray MC-1)theres a few good post on jetting and your manuel can help to.2.)With your weight Id just send it out for a rebuild and revalve (stock valving is for around a 180 lbs rider)3.)No,it'd be more touble than its worth to run '04 plastic and graghics,just run whats made for your bike.Sorry if Im not much help,but it's time for me to go to bed.

mxrider503

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 02:55:46 AM »
When you say check the jetting do you meen the main and the pilot. What should i be checking? I am not exactly good with dirtbikes so if you have any information that would make it easier for me I would be greatly appreciative. Any good places to send my shock?  Thank you for your quick reply mike.

mxrider503

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 04:21:52 AM »
also i just got a quote to rebuild and revalve my shock for my weight and it was right around 280 for the rear and around 100 for new springs in the front plus or minus 50 for parts. Does this sound right to you guys?

mxrider503

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 05:15:58 PM »
another thing the guy who had the bike before me ran race gas or so he says, could this be why when i mixed up 93 40:1 I get white smoke?

mikesmith

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 10:31:29 PM »
White smoke could be the oil your useing or even that your burning coolant(hope not),the bike shouldnt need race gas unless he up'ed the compression.I could write a small book on jetting your bike,but Rick or another member all ready have.Do a search,even though there talking 500's the same "how to" info applies to your 250.If your running the right plug and its tan thats good,white-lean,black oily-rich.Hows the bike run?Does it run crisp, ping,bog,seem hot,run sluggish,hard to start?Run good down low,midrange,or on top?As for your suspenion try Pro-Circuit or ACME.

Offline Arigato

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 02:43:50 AM »
White smoke=coolant leak.  Probably a head gasket.  Check the frame for cracks around the head stay mounting bracket and the rear shock mount.

mxrider503

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 02:05:36 PM »
cool. Thanks guys. The bike starts second kick and runs good aside from the smoke. (which from a second opinion from a buddy said looked normal for a 2 stroke warming up.  I am still cautious.

mxrider503

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 05:39:57 PM »
just another question. I am taking my suspension to this guy to get it revalved and rebuilt. He asked me to bring my rear shock in and my front springs. He says that I need to replace the front springs to match the revalving of the reat shock. Is this true? if so, how do i go about disassembling the front shocks to get the springs out? I don't think it would be complicated. Thanks for all of your help guys. Also I am looking for a bike for my buddy who weighs about 165 and is about 6ft tall. He has never ridden before and can spend around 6-800 dollars. Does anybody have any idea or a bike for sale? We are willing to travel pretty much anywhere in new england.

mikesmith

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 10:22:51 PM »
Springs depend on rider weight and riding style (beginner Moto-Cross,intermediate super-cross,expert Desert racer,Ect.)After you remove the bars loosen the top tripple clamp bolts(bike on a stand,front wheel off the ground,bolts that hold the top of the fork leg),remove the lage "bolt"(from the top of the fork were you adjust rebound,do both forks at same time) pull "bolt" and attached spring up, theres a smaller nut (push rod nut) under that attaches  to the big "bolt" that holds the spring,seperate these two with wrenches and pull the springs out.I hope I made this sound simple and not harder.At 165 lbs a 125 could work but the wear fast ,so not always a good used (or beginners) bike.A KDX 200  would be the perfect bike for your friend, a KLX or dare I say a Honda XR.500's make a great buy in this price range,but not a first time riders bike.

mxrider503

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 02:47:02 PM »
thanks mike. I was getting worried nobody was going to respond.  Ill let him know in the mean time do you know of anybody who is selling a similar klx or the daring xr 500?
-b

mikesmith

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 10:04:29 PM »
Sorry,I meant a used XR (250 or 400),then a new sentence saying "500's (Honda or Kawasaki) make a great buy",but a little much bike for a new rider.Im in Northern California,so I would say your best bet is the for sale section in your local paper,or if theres a motor-cycle club (dirt) in your area asking them if any one knows of a bike.I suggest a Kawasaki KDX 200 (or 220),there great bikes for a beginer and with a little work great race bike he could advance into,very reliable bikes.Could could try lookin on the net for one like at www.woodsracer.com in the for sale section or ask and someone may know of a bike.

mxrider503

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 02:58:06 PM »
Bike has been revalved with a new eibach spring! 310$ later. I also rebuilt the swingarm, shock and linkage with new pivot works kits. It is a much more impressive ride now.  Also I know whoever reads this will laugh but I really like a graphics kit I saw on a newer 250. The "monster" energy drinks decals. If anybody knows where I can find a kit that will fit my 96 please let me know. Or better yet how different would a 2001 kit be from a 96? thanks
-b

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
My 96 KX 250
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 12:25:14 AM »
mxrider, check out XGXracing.com they have some sweet kits that would fit your bike and they can custom build them too. Very slick stuff

mxrider503

My 96 KX 250
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 03:03:44 AM »
nice find gabe those are seriously sweet. I think im gonna donate to this forum who ever developed this deserves it. Any who I have yet another question. The silencer on my bike sux. We have been getting a lot of brush fire latley and I am getting sick of running up and down the mountain with water cans on our backs. I talked to the fire marshal and the chief and they said it would be okay if i brought my bike to drive up and down and kind of shuttle water cans. However he said that my bike is too loud and I also need a certified spark arrestor. Any ideas as to what will make my bike a lot more quiet? My neighbors and the fd await
-b