Author Topic: KX 85 Power Valve Alignment HELP  (Read 16354 times)

Offline ande065

KX 85 Power Valve Alignment HELP
« on: March 12, 2015, 11:25:15 PM »
 I am hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I rebuilt the top end on my son's 2012 KX 85.   I used the manual and have done many top ends on other types of bikes but this is my first Kawasaki.

When I got to the part of removing the power valve actuator arm, the manual said to take a wrench and turn it clockwise to remove the arm linkage from the power valve.   When I did this,  I hear a pop and the arm moved upwards about 1/2".

Fast forward to putting everything back together.   It all seemed to go back together well until I got to the governor arm.   It was still about 1/2" high.  I couldn't push it down so I gave it a very light tap with a hammer and it fell into place.

I thought all was well until my son starting riding.  The bike has a bog on the bottom so the first thing I checked was the power valve.   After reading some of the forums I discovered that the "marks" have to be lined up with the case and governor arm, my mark was facing toward the rear of the bike.   This is were my problem starts.

I cannot figure out for the life of me how to do this.  when I attempt the line this up, the top of the arm linkage is in a position that it hits the case when I try to install it.   I can turn this linkage (small arm on top with the spring) to a position that is completely 180 to where it needs to be but that obviously won't work.   I've never had a small issue like this stop me before but this one  has really confused me.

So, thinking I may be not understanding how this works, as a test I put the arm in without connecting it to the power valve.  I lowered the governor arm into place with the marks lined up and cranked the bike.  I revved the engine and expected the governor arm to move but it didn't.   I  am missing something or would the governor arm not move if the linkage to the power valve was disconnected?

In summary:

1) how to you like up the governor arm with the marks without the top arm (with spring under it) from hitting the case?
2) would the governor arm move without being connected to the power valve with the bike running and being revved?
3) in the rest position with the engine off, should the power valve be forward toward the front when or rearward to the rear wheel?

I appreciate anyone's help on this.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:43:00 PM by ande065 »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: KX 85 Power Valve Alignment HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:47:35 AM »
I'm not familiar with the 85, but I think some pics could be considerably helpful...
If I'm understanding you correctly, the answer for question #2 would be NO.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ande065

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 02:31:11 AM »
Hopefully this picture will clarify some of my description.

Offline ande065

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 02:33:39 AM »
I'm not familiar with the 85, but I think some pics could be considerably helpful...
If I'm understanding you correctly, the answer for question #2 would be NO.

I am meaning that the governor arm is properly aligned and installed in the crankcase but not connected to the power valve.   To me, the movement action has to come from inside the case so I don't understand why it wouldn't move but I could be wrong.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 03:07:37 AM »
When I got to the part of removing the power valve actuator arm, the manual said to take a wrench and turn it clockwise to remove the arm linkage from the power valve.   When I did this,  I hear a pop and the arm moved upwards about 1/2".

Fast forward to putting everything back together.   It all seemed to go back together well until I got to the governor arm.   It was still about 1/2" high.  I couldn't push it down so I gave it a very light tap with a hammer and it fell into place.

this part makes me weary....

something's not right...if your alignment marks are off, it's not gonna run right. Did you try to rev the motor when it was still all together with the KIPS cover off?, to see if they were at least opening and closing?  I'd pull the pipe off so you can look up into the exhaust port so you can see the power valves, and more importantly how they're sitting...i.e...partially open/closed.

hopefully someone that's got some experience with the mini's will respond, as I said, I'm not familiar with them.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ