Author Topic: Got my suspension back from RG3 and tested it out this weekend  (Read 3469 times)

Offline jcm3

Got my suspension back from RG3 and tested it out this weekend
« on: January 26, 2015, 03:06:02 AM »
I don't have anyone to compare them to, but wow.  What a difference.

When I first started riding on Sunday (started out on the Cahuilla Creek vet track, then spent most of the rest of the day on the main track), I thought it was probably too soft because it was super plush.  I had a 2011 YZ450 for a couple of years, so did have the experience of newer Yamaha SSS suspension, which is known to be the best stock suspension.

As I worked my way over to the main track, I was working my way toward clearing the big jumps, as there are a lot of them on that track.  I was landing flat on a lot of the tabletops at first, and was amazed that it was not bottoming.  It was plush through the soft stuff, and really resisted bottoming well.  I haven't played with the clickers at all, just set the sag to 4 inches and that's it.

The biggest thing to me is that now the bike is flying level and jumping perfectly.  I was starting to question my technique, as I was jumping my KX500 really front end high and thought it might have something to do with no compression braking like I was used to on my old YZ426 and YZ450.  It's jumping perfectly now, so the suspension was not balanced at all before and was very rough and bouncy.

It's interesting that they did things a lot differently than I would have thought they would, given my limited knowledge.  They reused the springs I had on it (which were on the heavy side since the last guy that had the suspension done was 240 and I'm 195), and valved around the stiffer springs.  I called them to make sure they meant to go 65mm from the top on the oil volume (stock is 100mm or so for a 2000), and they said yes.  It worked great.

They are close to me, so super convenient.  But they are a great option if you are looking to get your suspension redone. 
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Got my suspension back from RG3 and tested it out this weekend
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 03:11:38 AM »
good to hear!
there's nothing like having suspension "tailored" to fit your riding style...one of the easiest ways to go faster. 8-)
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jcm3

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 03:14:04 AM »
good to hear!
there's nothing like having suspension "tailored" to fit your riding style...one of the easiest ways to go faster. 8-)

Agreed, and I think you were the one who kind of talked me into it.   :-D  Some folks on other forums think that older bikes like ours are still going to suck after a revalve, but it feels awesome to me at my level and every bit as good as my newer bike did stock.  Granted, a new bike with redone suspension will probably be better, but I love the way it rides right now.
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 03:21:28 AM »
Watch some 20 year old video's of mx races.
Look at the way the bikes handled and how much air they got.
Most of us don't ride that fast or jump that high anymore.
Sure, the newer stuff is nice, but getting the older stuff set up right makes all the difference in the world...
Good move..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 03:24:22 AM »
good to hear!

Agreed, and I think you were the one who kind of talked me into it.   :-D  Some folks on other forums think that older bikes like ours are still going to suck after a revalve, but it feels awesome to me at my level and every bit as good as my newer bike did stock.  Granted, a new bike with redone suspension will probably be better, but I love the way it rides right now.

give yourself some time on it with the new set-up....you'll like it even more once you get it dialed in.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ