Author Topic: Assembling transmission and I cannot get it to shift  (Read 11302 times)

Offline yeomans

Re: Assembling transmission and I cannot get it to shift
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 12:27:19 PM »
Hey Mike, A few thoughts,
If you replaced your circlips on the trans is it possible that a gear may have gotten flipped around during assembly ?
Is the dowel pin on your shift drum still there? Just a thought, if its missing you might not have the drum matched up right on either side of the case.
You are sure all of your forks are sitting correctly in their grooves and nothing is jumping loose on you?
What year is your crankcase, what year is the trans from?

Offline vagassasson

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »
I think if the gear in the red box is installed backwards it can cause it to not function properly. I will double check when I get home later
The reason I mentioned it is because it happend to me

Offline Mike Grant

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 12:38:32 PM »
The crankcase is an 87.  The transmission was 86 or 87.......he never 100% confirmed with me

The transmission is as delivered to me and I just installed a new pair of roller bearing on both shafts. The only gears that I installed would be high gear and  low gear on the output shaft and second gear input. New Circlips were used

Offline Mike Grant

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
Vagassasson. I passed this information onto the guy who is looking at my engine for me know........appreciate the lead

Offline vagassasson

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »
Hey mike I used the wrong picture on my previous comments that was the tranny picture for my 98 kx500.I was comparing the 2 side by side and got them mixed up. Here is the 87 diagram.don't know if it can cause the same issue in your year or not. Sorry for the mix up

Offline Mike Grant

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 07:37:06 AM »
Well the guy building my motor thinks I he has it figured out ............mixed the shift forks up on the output shaft.........feel like a retard but at least it is shifting gears fine now

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 08:15:59 AM »
If you build motors it will happen from time to time  :lol:
Thanks for the update.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline vagassasson

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »
Yep that can do it to glad to hear you got it fixed

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »
Great news! We All make miscues like that...Now get some video of it...Ringa Ding Ding. :-D

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Pmcg

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 12:56:49 AM »
When I rebuilt my motor I put the crank in backwards. I didn't realize it until I tried to slide the drive gear onto the flywheel side of the crank.  Had to resplit the cases.  A mistake I won't make twice!!!

Offline motojason

• Two arms, two legs, two wheels, perfection!
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 04:30:56 AM »
On the last rebuild on my 83 KX250 I put the washer that goes under the idler gear on the output shaft inside the case instead of on the outside because it was shown in the diagram outside of the circlip on the clutch side. It all worked fine until I torqued the case bolts to the proper setting. Then it would lock up solid. Drove me nuts! Took it apart twice thinking it was correct. Then I looked at the kick start assembly diagram and the light bulb went off... This stuff happens.   
Motorcycles are my favorite people...