Author Topic: 2006 kx500af Done Building, Needs Tuning  (Read 26746 times)

Offline crooscroos

Re: 2006 kx500af Done Building, Needs Tuning
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 11:17:45 AM »
Can you post some pictures of your plexiglass plate? I'de like to see it!

I'm going to post a picture of my piston late tonight or tomorrow.

As for my motor mounts, I am installing rubber spacers in an attempt to minimize some vibration!

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 12:40:59 PM »
I do not have the bike any longer. I just traced the crf inner box and then matched the boot to the carb side. I used flat carriage bolts to hold the plate to the box. Did the same thing with the boot to the plate. Any bolts that were on the air cleaner were flat and did not create an issue. I used a gas resistant sealer to seal the plate to the box and boot to plate. Good Luck

Offline crooscroos

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 06:47:44 AM »
Here is a picture of the top of my piston! It looks pretty normal but you guys have more experience with jetting than myself!

Offline crooscroos

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2015, 06:49:08 AM »
Here is a side view of my piston, the damage done by the sand was'nt terrible and the rings are still in good shape. I'm glad I took the bike apart when I did!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »
Did you clean the top of the piston before taking the pic?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jBernard

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 12:07:18 PM »
Can you post some pictures of your plexiglass plate? I'de like to see it!

I'm going to post a picture of my piston late tonight or tomorrow.

As for my motor mounts, I am installing rubber spacers in an attempt to minimize some vibration!

dont do this. you want the engine as rigid in their as possible. bad things happen when the engine and the frame try and flex at different rates. as in it will rip right out.
'09 KX500AF - never ending project
'14 KTM 300SX

Offline crooscroos

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 12:49:33 PM »
I wiped it off but I didn't clean it!

As for the motor mounts, thanks for the input JBernard! Dodged a bullet there! I'm going to face them off so that they are completely flat and fill the remaining gap with steel washers so that it is as tight as possible! What do you think?

Offline crooscroos

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 01:37:19 PM »
I am in the process of reworking my radiator hose routing so that it mocks the stock kx500. What do you guys suggest for the left side radiator? are there any left radiators out there that won't require any welding?

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2015, 03:56:05 PM »
I really really like these 500 AF bikes. I have plans on turning my 2014 450 into one at some point... One of the concerns i have is how the kick starter sticks out once everything is finished. It almost looks like it could catch on your pants while riding... looks a little funny to me... What do you guys think?
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline crooscroos

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2015, 04:41:33 PM »
I was concerned about the kick starter at first but when I ride I don't even notice it! I was going to indent the exhaust for it but after riding with it I have no desire to!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2015, 02:54:57 AM »
One of the concerns i have is how the kick starter sticks out once everything is finished. It almost looks like it could catch on your pants while riding... looks a little funny to me... What do you guys think?
I was concerned about the kick starter at first but when I ride I don't even notice it! I was going to indent the exhaust for it but after riding with it I have no desire to!

this has probably been asked and answered on here before, maybe more than once...but has anyone ever tried a kicker from an '89-'02 CR500?...since they are made/pre-bent for the lowboy pipe set-up...not sure if the shaft/spline size would be the same...but could be worth looking into.

or maybe you could swap out just the KX kicker peddle, keeping the KX boss, and put a CR peddle onto a KX boss...I don't know if it's possible, just a thought. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:01:23 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »

Is your kick starter actually hitting your pipe?
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2015, 02:21:58 PM »
One of the concerns i have is how the kick starter sticks out once everything is finished. It almost looks like it could catch on your pants while riding... looks a little funny to me... What do you guys think?

this has probably been asked and answered on here before, maybe more than once...but has anyone ever tried a kicker from an '89-'02 CR500?...since they are made/pre-bent for the lowboy pipe set-up...not sure if the shaft/spline size would be the same...but could be worth looking into.

or maybe you could swap out just the KX kicker peddle, keeping the KX boss, and put a CR peddle onto a KX boss...I don't know if it's possible, just a thought. 

Not a bad idea... but i've never seen any one mod the kick starter before...
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline Motodawg1

• Moto Restorations
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 04:13:40 PM »
Here is a rough diagram of my radiator routing. Should I take the cylinder off and check that gasket?

i see your problem here with your cooling... you should not have the hose at the bottom connecting the radiators together...
    Instead you should have the hose coming out of the water pump going to the right radiator at the bottom.. next, the top of the right radiator should go to the top of the left radiator.. next, the bottom of the left radiator should go to the top of the engine.. and you obviously have the hose going from the cylinder to the water pump right.. thats it! and whether the engine pumps one direction or another it will work the same.. i think that will work just fine. what you did was run the hose from the top of the radiators to the cylinder before it had a chance to flow thru the left one...
Don't drink lake water, fish have sex in it... :)