Author Topic: How long should a tank last  (Read 6704 times)

JAYFARMLAW

How long should a tank last
« on: January 29, 2003, 05:39:21 AM »
I have a 1 1/2 hour race coming up and I have never timed how long a tank should last.  The format is you race for an hour and a half and whouever has the most laps(then by time) wins  The race will be cross country, some wide open, lots of woods.  I would think mostly 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear most of the time.

I have the stock tank, 2.6 gallon I think.  Do I need to plan for a fuel stop somewhere along the way?

BTW, if you have a big transparent tank for sale, let me know.

Thanks,
Jayfarmlaw@sbcglobal.net

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 05:42:45 AM »
The stocker is good for 45 - 50 miles. At least mine was  :)

Suicycle

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 06:42:01 AM »
clarke mfg 4.1 tank in natural is the stuff you want.  my stock tank in showroom setup would maybe give 45 mi.  now after a little jetting work and float work i did 60 mi. on frozen and thawing ground and still had maybe two inches of gas in the high side and the lower side there was a ton in it.  maybe another 1 to 1.5 gal there total.  i figure at 3/4 race pace probably 85-100 mi.

Hogwylde

Re: How long should a tank last
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 01:09:07 PM »
Quote from: JAYFARMLAW
The format is you race for an hour and a half and whouever has the most laps(then by time) wins  The race will be cross country, some wide open, lots of woods.  

Hmmm.....I'd say this sounds like a harescramble or GNCC race.  They run two hours and I usually fill my IMS tank about 3/4 full.  This is about 2 and 3/4 gallons and I always have some left over after two hours.

Best thing to do is fill up and go out and ride HARD for an hour and a half and see how much you use.  I'd expect that for only an hour and a half ride, you should have plenty of fuel, even with a stock tank

sdkx500

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 08:01:50 AM »
I think i only get about 40-45 with the IMS tank.  I checked the jetting it seems good....... can someone explain how i am supposed to measure the float?  Thanks..... I need some mileage
 :shock:

Suicycle

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2003, 11:11:09 AM »
on checking the float i asked paul.........who directed me to the idiot mechanic who set up the bike when i bought it.  that guy didn't know squat.  basically i took off the bowl and found the float needle kind of suspended by a clip on a little tab.  i bent that tab ever so slightly up......dont remember which way i was holding it.  but i wanted the stubby needle to bottom out quicker when put back in.  the tab might be an eighth inch wide and i only maybe bent it 1/16 or lessat the end of it.

trial and error worked first time.  now i can put the bike on the stand and fuel doesn't drip out when i pick it up.  i can hold the front break and lay it over to about a 45 degree angle and fuel barely starts to drip.  made a major difference in miledge......cause i wheelie all the time and powerslide through turns.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2003, 11:33:05 AM »
Quote from: Suicycle
on checking the float i asked paul.........who directed me to the idiot mechanic who set up the bike when i bought it.  that guy didn't know squat.  

Oops...