Author Topic: Pipe for mx  (Read 3677 times)

Offline MRDART

Pipe for mx
« on: January 12, 2015, 08:02:41 PM »
Hi all!
 First post here I used to race the mighty K5 back in the days 1992-1996... After a few misguided years riding diesels (4strokes) I decided to buy a kx500 again...
 Picked up a 1994 model for a reasonable sum and I am going to completely restore it over time...
 Now I have a question...
 On my old bike I ran a pc pipe wich was way better than the stock pipe throughout the whole rpm range...
 My local dealer can get me a fmf fatty, gnarly dessert or gnarly Woods, I will also have to replace the muffler, since it is some homebuilt crap on the bike now.
 I also understand that a vforce2 is a good thing but that the stock reeds and a spacer is also a fairly good combo( I've been lurking the forum for quite a while) .
So out of those fmf pipes wich one would you recomend for mx riding ?
 Also would you recomend the turbine core , power core or shorty muffler to go with that?

Best regards/ Tommy/ MRDart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Pipe for mx
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 11:05:59 PM »
the FMF Desert and Powercore combo is a great all around set-up...the Woods pipe is great if you keep it in the woods...it has stump pulling low end...but it signs off way too soon if you ever need a long WOT run on a straight-away.
Though I've never used one, several members also like the Pro Circuit Platinum2. As far as I know, no one makes a "shorty" silencer, unless you shorten it up yourself...which there are members that have done that too...but I believe the Powercore is the shortest you can get brand new. I went the "bling" way for my silencer....

I get a little better throttle response from this one, than I did from my Powercore...and I run the Desert pipe.   
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 01:46:44 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline MRDART

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:55:47 AM »
Yes from what I have read the desert pipe is good! Looking for insight on the fatty pipe aswell if anyone has tested it.
 I do like low end hit, but overrev is also desireable for mx in my opinion
So not really looking for more hp just to stretch the powerband so to speak...
 Cylinder will go for repair/replate maybe som mild porting at the same time.
 Complete bottom end rebuild aswell (not taking any chances).
 Can't wait to relive the glory days of racing again...

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:22:07 PM »
The "Fatty" pipe is just FMF branding, they have a Fatty Torque Pipe & a Fatty Desert Pipe as Fox has mentioned. FMF used to brand their pipes as "Gold Series" years ago, and if what I have been told is correct it is the same pipe as the Desert Pipe.
Hope this Helps!

DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 09:17:35 PM »
The "Fatty" pipe is just FMF branding, they have a Fatty Torque Pipe & a Fatty Desert Pipe as Fox has mentioned. FMF used to brand their pipes as "Gold Series" years ago, and if what I have been told is correct it is the same pipe as the Desert Pipe.
Hope this Helps!

DoldGuy

this has been my understanding as well.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline MRDART

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:25:51 PM »
Thanks for the info will go for the dessert pipe an powercore silencer then.
 and search the entire world for the elusive vforce2 reeds...
:-D