Author Topic: Jetting for 500 ft NY  (Read 2386 times)

reknelb

Jetting for 500 ft NY
« on: March 31, 2005, 07:02:27 AM »
I know there are a few guys on the board from my area (wny), was wondering what they, or anyone else around 500 ft above sea are running for jetting. I would say most of my riding is from 50-75 degrees F. I pulled my carb and reeds off today and noticed my intake boot has a ton of cracks and it looked moist like maybe it was seeping. I'm going to get a new one to be safe and maybe try messin around with my jetting. My current jetting is:
175 main
60 pilot
n82m needle 2nd clip from top
float height was at 16mm

The jetting chart for my altitude and temp are a bit different
168 main
58 pilot
3rd clip

Doesnt say which needle. I noticed some people are running different needles. I have a fmf pipe and silencer, and I believe dual stage reeds. Think I should mess with the jetting?

Offline KXcam22

Jetting for 500 ft NY
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 09:08:41 AM »
reknelb,
  My carb boot was always weeping around the carb mouth until I tossed the stock clamps and went to some regular narrow hose clamps.  I have found that the jetting chart is very close.  I would suggest that those chart settings would be a good place to start. The 175 main sounds like a desert racer.  The 60 pilot is rich for almost anyone.  For most cases the stock needle is OK.  I think you might be supprised at how much better your bike will feel.  At your altitude and temp, if anything err on the richer side.  I run 165M 58P N82M (all the way down) needle at 1000' but much higher temps than you. Hope this helps. Cam.

reknelb

Jetting for 500 ft NY
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 11:24:12 AM »
Ohh yeh, I run 50:1 mobil mxt2. Not sure if that matters.

Cam,
My intake boot is so bad that I'm going to buy a new one just for piece of mind. I see what you mean about using a narrow hose clamp though. Thats probly where the seepage was coming from.

Offline KXcam22

Jetting for 500 ft NY
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 05:16:48 AM »
reknelb,
  The narrow front clamp was $1 from Lordco.  I used a normal width for the rear since they didn't have the narrow in that size. It just barely fits.  The rear clamp from a KTM 300EXC fits perfect but is more money. Cam

reknelb

Jetting for 500 ft NY
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 07:29:39 AM »
Did a closer inspection of the boot today, found a hole right through where the gas was seeping. Glad I didnt run it very much, coulda been a disaster. :oops:  I'm off to the dealer to order a new boot and grab some jets.

reknelb

Jetting for 500 ft NY
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 12:46:41 AM »
Just wanted to update this thread for anyone who is curious. I have my new boot. My carb is set with 168 main, 58 pilot, clip in the middle. As soon as I get my forks back, I'll be going out for a test and tune ride with my buddy who needs to do some jetting on his banshee. I'll post back and let you know how I made out.

reknelb

Jetting for 500 ft NY
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 10:07:03 AM »
Finally got my forks back and got out for my first real ride on the 500. The thing screams. Idles good, carb is at 168 main, needle is 2nd clip from the top, 58 pilot, 1-1.5 turns on the air screw seem to work the best. I'm around 500 ft above sea level, it was around 70 F. My bike has a fmf gnarly, and fmf silencer, wiseco piston. As far as I know, everything else is stock (bore, timing, porting, etc.) Plug was a nice chocolate brown at the end of the day. I was running alot of open fields. Just thought I would post the info just in case someone needed a starting point and were running a similar set-up.