Author Topic: 86 K5 kick starter dragging  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Michael janowicz

86 K5 kick starter dragging
« on: August 03, 2014, 11:41:17 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new to this page but have read and seen some great stuff here, I am hoping maybe someone can give me some guidance or suggestion on what my problem might be. My 86 K5 stalled out yesterday when I was about to stop, trying to kick it over after the stall the kickstart has a constant drag on the way down. So far I pulled the head, and the piston, ring cylinder all seem fine. Cylinders  off still won't turn over?? Any help appreciated.

Thank's,  Mike

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 86 K5 kick starter dragging
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 07:45:02 AM »
sounds like it's time to pull the clutch cover off, and have a gander in there.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
Make sure it's in neutral, then try to rotate the crank by hand.
If it won't move you either have bad rod or main crank bearings  :cry:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Michael janowicz

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »
Thank's Sandblaster and Foxx4beaver I'm going to check it out tommorow night if I get a chance, I'll keep you posted

Thank's, Mike

Offline Michael janowicz

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 12:36:26 PM »
Finally pulled the engine, when I started to pull off the kickstart side cover,I loosened all the bolts and the kickstarter moved freely again!! After taking off the side cover I found out that the nut on the end of the shaft with a gear on it was loose. From the factory they didn't fold over the flat washer against the nut tight enough allowing the nut to loosen! Hopefully that's all it was, easy fix. I think the loose nut was putting pressure against the other gear causing it to bind.

Thanks, Mike
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:33:03 PM by Michael janowicz »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 08:05:40 AM »
sweet!....gotta love it when it turns out to be something so simple and FREE, to fix! 
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Michael janowicz

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 11:00:32 PM »
Put bike back together the other day, now I have got little to no compression! Cleaned s surfaces really good before puttin gasket's in! Only did right side case gasket, and the base gasket!!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 06:56:55 AM »
What head gasket did you use?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 07:45:12 AM »
What head gasket did you use?

hopefully an OEM or Cometic...although he said he only did the base and right side cover gaskets.
I never remove the head from the jug to do top-end work, unless it's absolutely necessary.
I just take the motor right outa the cradle and throw it on the bench...or in some cases the living room coffee table 8-).
then you can remove and install the cylinder/head as one piece, and it's soooo much easier to work on with it out of the frame :-D 

Offline Michael janowicz

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 07:39:17 AM »
I used Cometic gaskets!! I may have slid the right side Kips out, not sure if It went in the same way I don't remember!! Could that have anything to do with compression loss ?