Author Topic: Exhaust and reed spacer  (Read 6564 times)

Offline 1FAST450R

Exhaust and reed spacer
« on: November 20, 2014, 07:52:51 AM »
Hello all! this is my first post on the forum. I recently purchased a 2000 KX 500. I want to upgrade the exhaust but there aren't too many options out the. I have been researching them and I have a few questions for the experts on this forum. I'll start out with the basics.
I am on the eastern seaboard at 100'-200' elevation. as far as I know the bike hasn't been touched at all except a set of boysen reeds and a uni air filter.
I want to put an exhaust system on but I want to gain power across the whole power band. FMF makes the woods and the desert Gnarly. One for bottom/mid and the other for top end performance. can I install the desert pipe for top and a reed spacer for the bottom/mid? Does that make sense?
If not, what would be a different alternative? Pro Circuit Platinum?
Thanks, in advance.
Troy

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Exhaust and reed spacer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »
if you go with the FMF Woods pipe, don't expect anything at all for top end...period!!...once you click into 5th, that's it...there is no pull at all in 5th. On the flip side, the bottom end torque/pull, will be awesome!

I'm in Southeast MA/Cape Cod running the same elevation, and once I switched from the Woods to the Desert pipe...I was hooked.
I don't have very many places at all around me that allows me to FULLY open it up in 5th...yeah, the difference is that noticeable. I don't think you'd even want a reed spacer with the Desert pipe...just a simple fondle of the clutch lever is all you need to get the revs up and the power you want when needed.

I'll never use my Woods pipe again.
I've never used the Platinum2, supposedly you can gain a couple HP's on the top end...but some guys say you'd never notice the difference between the two top end pipes.
So, it's either the Desert or Platinum2....unless you plan on doing a lot of slow trails, then go with the Woods.
I was never keen on mixing "top end" pipes with "low end" accessories....kinda pissin into the wind(just my opinion).
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline 1FAST450R

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:40:44 AM »
Thanks for the input. I think you helped me make my decision.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:45:29 AM »
if you really want to get it to run good...spend some time doing "wide open throttle plug chops"...to get your jetting dialed in as precise as you can.

when I was running my stock carb, my jetting was as followed...

Main...168
Pilot....52
Needle...N82T..(2 steps leaner from the stock N82R)
Clip position... 2nd from the top
Air Screw...1 3/4 turns out

that worked best for my area/elevation....that doesn't mean it'll be any good for you.

the starting base point we use is...

Main...168
Pilot....55
Needle...Stock N82R....*this can vary from year to year*
Clip in 3rd, or middle position
Air Screw...1 1/2 turns out

from here, you can fine tune it as needed.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:48:43 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline 1FAST450R

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »
That Is How I Am Set Up Besides The Optional needle. I played with it and it is running great. I'm still looking for the elusive vf2 setup.lol They are next to impossible to find.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »
I'm still looking for the elusive vf2 setup.lol They are next to impossible to find.

send the member Sandblaster a PM...I'm sure he'll chime in soon either way.
he was selling brand new ones over the summer.
I think he's waiting on another batch.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 08:53:22 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline 1FAST450R

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 10:24:49 AM »
Sweet. I will definitely do that.

Offline 1FAST450R

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
Any other tips or issues I should look out for? I already tig welded the upper exhaust bracket back on.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
keep an eye on your sub-frame where the chain is...the chain likes to saw into the sub-frame.
If you use the "Search" option, you can find several threads on how to protect it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:16:29 PM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline 1FAST450R

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »
I noticed a little rubbing on the subframe. I will search the site to figure out how to prevent that rom happening.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 06:41:53 AM »
there's many different ways that guys have used...
I posted what I did to mine a couple years ago here....scroll down a bit.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,9617.15.html

Offline Foxx4Beaver