Author Topic: Can 2000 KX500 suspension be revalved to be pretty good?  (Read 4799 times)

Offline jcm3

Can 2000 KX500 suspension be revalved to be pretty good?
« on: November 03, 2014, 03:53:49 AM »
Right now the bike has what appears to be the Pro Circuit KYB Works Kit on the front, which I heard was very good for its time.  It also had a Pro Circuit sticker on the shock, but am not certain of the internals.  I imagine that both ends were done by Pro Circuit at the same time sometime in the past.  It was also sprung for a heavier rider, which doesn't bother me.  I've always preferred it to be too stiff rather than too soft.  Obviously, just right is better.   :-)

I know suspension has advanced a lot since 2000, so just curious if the 2000 era suspension is decent with aftermarket valving and work, or if it is pretty bad compared to newer stuff.  I'm not a national level racer or anything, but am curious if others are adapting soemthing newer to their bikes for MX use (kind of like how the pre-2006 YZ guys do with the SSS suspension), of if the stock stuff is ok once it is redone.  I had a 2011 YZ450 in the past, and it was pretty good stock.  But, that was several years ago and I don't have a way to ride them back to back.

Thanks for any input or experience.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:10:21 AM by jcm3 »
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Can 2000 KX500 suspension me revalved to be pretty good?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:41:40 AM »
if you have it valved and sprung for your weight, riding skill, type of terrain, and type of riding you'll be doing...it'll be more than satisfactory!

My '95 suspension couldn't be any sweeter, thanks to Factory Connection.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 06:43:02 AM »
For the most part, the only people who can ride faster over the whoops then me are guys that are better riders... Not because their suspension is better.
I Rode my House of Horsepower 2000 KX500 suspension for 12 years and would still be kickin butt on it but it got stolen :-(
So now I'm riding on 98 KX250 suspension on my 01 KX500 with all Race Tech goodies.
Love it and still scare myself how fast I can do the whoops.
Then again when you break the 50 barrier things can seem faster then they are  :roll:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 08:05:30 AM »
Good replies, you two.  Even though it is updated, I'm going to look into getting it redone by RG3, who is only about 20 minutes from work, to freshen it up and have it set up for my weight.  Right now it's stiff, and really I don't have any idea about the internals of the front at all.  I just redid the oil, but out back RG3 just did a service, replaced seals, etc.

I think that will probably make a difference, but I keep hearing that it will be crap even after being redone since it is so old.  Maybe that is the case, maybe it won't be enough that I notice since I'm not tearing up the supercross circuit.

Thanks for your input, gentlemen.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:09:30 AM by jcm3 »
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 08:12:09 AM »
but I keep hearing that it will be crap even after being redone since it is so old. 

whoever is telling you this...is a piece of crap themselves!!....it's all about proper set-up, period.
I don't know anything about RG3, I've heard good things about them...I've been using Factory Connection since the fall of 1995...and I have a little experience with Race Tech...all positive.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jcm3

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:16:17 AM »
whoever is telling you this...is a piece of crap themselves!!....it's all about proper set-up, period.
I don't know anything about RG3, I've heard good things about them...I've been using Factory Connection since the fall of 1995...and I have a little experience with Race Tech...all positive.

It definitely wasn't them.  lol  It was a yahoo over from a different forum.  I'd been toying around with getting something like a newer fuel injected WR450, but don't want to spend the $$$.  My bike, although older, is so fresh that I feel like I'd be crazy to get rid of it.  I think I'll try out the suspension revalve and see how it feels.  I'm probably about 70/30 track to trails/desert, and although riding my bike in the desert and on trails is a no-brainer, not so sure about a WR450 on the mx track.

I love this thing, and even if I got another bike, would just keep it as a second bike.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:12:46 AM »

I think I'll try out the suspension revalve and see how it feels.
I love this thing, and even if I got another bike, would just keep it as a second bike.

I think you'll be very happy with it after a revalve.
I keep my 250 as a back-up ride...not that it's all that much fun to ride after being on a 500 as my primary ride...but it's better than nothing to ride!

Offline jcm3

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 09:29:57 AM »
I think you'll be very happy with it after a revalve.
I keep my 250 as a back-up ride...not that it's all that much fun to ride after being on a 500 as my primary ride...but it's better than nothing to ride!

Agreed.  I just called them for an estimate on a revalve and setting it up for my weight, and may try to get it done this month.  Can't wait to see how it feels.