Author Topic: More selling roller or parting it out?  (Read 3026 times)

Offline jcm3

More selling roller or parting it out?
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:55:32 AM »
I think I've decided to build a 2002 KX500 steel framed conversion.  I tracked down a 2002 with a blown motor, and am going to hopefully to pick it up next weekend.  I even got sign off from the wife!

My current bike is super clean, with the Pro Circuit KYB Works Kit up front and Pro Circuit valving in the rear.  The plastics are clean, and overall the bike is in really nice shape.  I am not sure whether it makes more sense to part it out or to sell it as a roller, and was curious if any of you have done a similar project or gotten rid of a bike without an engine.  I'd love your thoughts.

I think the project will take me a month or so, and have a buddy here at work who built a nice one adn posts a bit on here.  So, I'm going to try to have all of my ducks in a row and do it as fast as I can to avoid too much downtime.

Thanks for any input or experiences.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:58:08 AM by jcm3 »
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: More selling roller or parting it out?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
I am not sure whether it makes more sense to part it out or to sell it as a roller, and was curious if any of you have done a similar project or gotten rid of a bike without an engine.  I'd love your thoughts.

if you sell it as a roller, you make one person happy and only get one set price....if you part it out, you can make several people happy, and probably make a few extra bucks over what you'd get by selling it as a roller...
just my thoughts....Sandblaster would be the guy to ask.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline jcm3

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »
I am not sure whether it makes more sense to part it out or to sell it as a roller, and was curious if any of you have done a similar project or gotten rid of a bike without an engine.  I'd love your thoughts.

if you sell it as a roller, you make one person happy and only get one set price....if you part it out, you can make several people happy, and probably make a few extra bucks over what you'd get by selling it as a roller...
just my thoughts....Sandblaster would be the guy to ask.

Good info, thank you sir.
2000 KX500 - Tom Morgan motor, RG3 suspension, EBC oversized front brake rotor - lots-o-fun

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:45:09 AM »
That fact that I only sell parts and not rollers might be a good indication of what to do.... Then again, I'm set up for it...
It takes a lot more time dealing with individual parts, boxing, shipping, ect...
But for me, it's worth it  :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline dirk_411

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 12:50:04 PM »
I'd likely be interested in a few parts.

Offline jcm3

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:25:29 AM »
That fact that I only sell parts and not rollers might be a good indication of what to do.... Then again, I'm set up for it...
It takes a lot more time dealing with individual parts, boxing, shipping, ect...
But for me, it's worth it  :lol:

I think I changed my mind for now anyway.  lol  I found a great deal on a roller, but started pricing it out and was coming out with about $3500 for the conversion, not including any money that I made on selling my existing parts.  If I did it, I'd want to get the suspension revalved for me, and was factoring in stuff like plastics, tires, and of course all of the machine work, welding, power coating, etc.  I think I'll keep the old girl the way she is, particularly with all of the money that I've put into her lately.  She's in great shape and is very strong with the Tom Morgan mods. 

If I want a more track-oriented bike at some point, then I think I'll just buy one.   :-D  But, sticking with the old girl for now will likely keep me from hurtnig my self, as I'll be less likely to try some of the obstacles that used to get me into trouble.