Author Topic: Retarding Timing  (Read 2567 times)

TomL

Retarding Timing
« on: March 09, 2005, 03:53:34 AM »
What happens if you retard the timing too far???  I've heard you can cause damage to the piston if you advance too far, but what about retarding too far???  I just want to know the consequences before I start adjusting the timing.

Thanks all for your help.

Tom L.

Offline KXcam22

Retarding Timing
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 04:07:42 AM »
Tom,
  Search the  site. Doordie has put some good info in timing including the max/min limits.  If you're still trying to defang the beast a bit, a nice big dent in the pipe will do it - right in the fat part.  Looks accidental and easy to remove later (heat & air pressure). Cam.

TomL

Retarding Timing
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 04:42:28 AM »
LOL Cam!!!  I actually have a small dent already.  Dropped the bike over in my trailer 1 week old out of the showroom!!!   :sosad: I could just make it bigger!!!

mikesmith

Retarding Timing
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:48:19 PM »
I dont know Cam,I read a test on how dents effect a pipe and the power loss was when they dented the head pipe not the fat part,the actually picked up a little power on one bike that they hit in the fat of it.Ive had the same kind of dent (fat part) on my PC pipe with no noticable effects.

TomL

Retarding Timing
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 01:56:02 AM »
Retarding the timing seemed to be the ticket!!!  I just turned it counterclockwise to the limit mark on the stator plate.  It still has all the power but gives you a half a second to change your mind after opening the throttle before it throws you off the back end!!!  Seems much more smooth and friendly.  Almost like adding more flywheel weight.  Should work great in the woods with the 13/52 sprockets!!!