Author Topic: 500AF exhaust  (Read 14750 times)

Offline cipala895

500AF exhaust
« on: October 23, 2014, 01:01:23 AM »
Hi everybody, I am about to start a 2002kx500/2012 kx250f conversion.

I race Hillclimb so need all the power I can get. The only thing on the build I worry about is using a cr500 exhaust pipe. The motors, port timing, compression,etc are very different between the two motors and I don't want to lose power putting this motor in an AF. So I guess the question is for everyone if you have used a cr pipe what was the power loss or performance loss, how did the power and change? Which pipes produce the best HP gains? I have looked at CPI And scalvini which both seem to produce best numbers.

Thanks

Offline alward25

Re: 500AF exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:28:23 AM »
Fun fact, did u know the af frame weighs 7 lbs more than the k5. CPI is the pipi I would run, good top end pipe.
"Let there be light"

Offline cipala895

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:44:59 AM »
I didn't but I don't really bother worrying about weight. CPI Is a great pipe especially fr over rev. But on Hondas. Never know how it'll work on a kaw. That's why I worry

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »
Service Honda uses the CR pipe with the Kawasaki header. Might try to get a hold of A.J. Waggoner at SH and discuss any power loses or gains using the CR pipe. I'm sure they must have done some dyno pulls?
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline cipala895

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »
I attempted to get in contact with them. I was extremely disappointed with their customer service and how they went about answering my questions. Which is they didn't. I have talked to some people and realized that CPI is the best option and that is what I will be going with.

Offline Kwackerman

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Hey brother,

Check out the MPS Racing (George Fanelli) at (419) 352-4707.  George has been building AF hybrids for years (longer than SH) and he has an exclusive contract with Dynaport (one of the first companies to make aftermarket exhausts for MX in the 70s) for his K5 pipes.  You can see a picture on George's website at http://www.mps500af.com/.  Cost is $400.00.  He said it's dyno tested and provides equivalent power output to the CR500 exhaust.  You could talk to him about any power gains.  I don't recall him saying whether or not it was actually better and I didn't ask. The pipe is routed up high over the water fitting on the cylinder eveyone hates, so you don't have to bend it.  It's a good looking set up.  I ordered one and should have it next week. I'll post a performance report on it.  Howie

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »
I talked to Dynoport the other day, they said nothing about having to buy it from MPS but did say his stampings to make the initial part of the pipe are on back order until December. A customer of mine and I have a pair on order.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 10:06:02 AM »
How can MPS make af's longer than SH?
SH started in 97 with the first alu honda. Did they make a own frame than?

Mine AF has a Rino/ Spes cr500 pipe. Doesn't feel bad. With MX riding you don't need the power as with climbing

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »
 Have a MPS bike DYNO_PORT pipe just gona say  :x

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 10:33:08 AM »
SHLEPY, whats that mean?
can you get me some pictures of it, I have no idea what to expect.  :roll:

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
 Pm sent Roost.

Offline alward25

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »
Hey brother,

Check out the MPS Racing (George Fanelli) at (419) 352-4707.  George has been building AF hybrids for years (longer than SH) and he has an exclusive contract with Dynaport (one of the first companies to make aftermarket exhausts for MX in the 70s) for his K5 pipes.  You can see a picture on George's website at http://www.mps500af.com/.  Cost is $400.00.  He said it's dyno tested and provides equivalent power output to the CR500 exhaust.  You could talk to him about any power gains.  I don't recall him saying whether or not it was actually better and I didn't ask. The pipe is routed up high over the water fitting on the cylinder eveyone hates, so you don't have to bend it.  It's a good looking set up.  I ordered one and should have it next week. I'll post a performance report on it.  Howie

MPS has been hack jobbing around longer than SH, but I would not buy anything he has put out.  Maybe he has gotten better but he has not had the best reputation.  I would be very cautious with anything you do with him if you choose to go that route.
"Let there be light"

Offline SHLEPY

• Big Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
Hey brother,

MPS has been hack jobbing around longer than SH, but I would not buy anything he has put out.  Maybe he has gotten better but he has not had the best reputation.  I would be very cautious with anything you do with him if you choose to go that route.

Yep what Al said I was just being nice lol.

Offline alward25

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 03:50:47 PM »
I thought I was being nice giving a heads up Shlepy :wink:  You must be a better person than I.
"Let there be light"

Offline cipala895

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 03:40:32 AM »
I've been in contact with MPS and DynoPort

1. DynoPort is junk exhaust nobody that I've came across has liked it.
2. A friend of mine had his AF built by MPS and all the motor mounts broke after 5-10 hillclimbs.

I see no reason in going through either of them, can build better frame set up and CPI exhaust is definitely the best you can buy for this set up